New into Bladesmithing

Hi guys,

I am writing to you all, because I believe that this forum is the “Meca” of wisdom and knowledge about bladesmithing.
Therefore, I am wondering how to start ( I did a 2 days course only) with forge/grinder/anvil/tools recomendations??

Also, working with a pre-made billet? Can I work it by hand (widen up a bit) or needs to go straight to quenching and temper process?

For quenching temperature, when it needs an exact temp or range between 800-825 celsius (how do I accomplish in a propane forge?)

Sorry for the newbie, but you gotta start from somewhere and I will appreciate very much your guidance 🙏

Regards

Felipe

Welcome Felescoda. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.

As far as the blade blank, it can be forged to get a wider blade or ground and then hardened. Depends on your equipment and skills.

As to the HT with a propane forge, we need to know the steel type.

At the minimum you need to heat it evenly and judge the heat by color. If it is a carbon steel it will be in the medium red color range just a bit brighter than the non-magnetic point. How much brighter depends on the steel type.

Let us know what equipment you have and the forge you will use.

Welcome Felescoda. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.

As far as the blade blank, it can be forged to get a wider blade or ground and then hardened. Depends on your equipment and skills.

As to the HT with a propane forge, we need to know the steel type.

At the minimum you need to heat it evenly and judge the heat by color. If it is a carbon steel it will be in the medium red color range just a bit brighter than the non-magnetic point. How much brighter depends on the steel type.

Let us know what equipment you have and the forge you will use.
Ho Stacy, I have done in a rush sorry,

The equipment that I am looking to buy

-75lb anvil
-propane forge 2 entries vevor (budget friendly) + 47kg propane tank
-domestic electric oven for tempering
-any grinder that you might recommend? And where to buy it? I have been looking for a 4x36? (Budget friendly as well pls)
- blue 2 billets san mai I am looking to buy! And v-toku2
-lvl of skill 0 learning just starting

Very very entry lvl, and I want to get skilled as I learn and grow, I will buy more expensive stuff like the tempering oven or a power hammer. (Dream)

Based in the UK

Those tools will help you get started. You will need a forging hammer, tongs, and supplies.
While a 4X36 can work it isn't a good choice. A 2X32 or 2X42, etc., grinder would be a better choice. You can start with files and sandpaper as well.

I'm guessing the billets are from either Workshop Heaven or Dictum. Both are good steel sources in the UK.

It would be wiser to start with a mono-steel billet of Hitachi Blue steel for the first knives. San-mai is a step up after learning the basics.

Those tools will help you get started. You will need a forging hammer, tongs, and supplies.
While a 4X36 can work it isn't a good choice. A 2X32 or 2X42, etc., grinder would be a better choice. You can start with files and sandpaper as well.

I'm guessing the billets are from either Workshop Heaven or Dictum. Both are good steel sources in the UK.

It would be wiser to start with a mono-steel billet of Hitachi Blue steel for the first knives. San-mai is a step up after learning the basics.
Legend! Thank you so much Stacy! Will definitely start with a mono steel stuff 👍🏼🫶🏼

Back