New-ish to Traditionals, New Mindset

Hello everyone! Apologies if this isn't much to start a new thread on, but I felt it was share-worthy. I tried dipping my toe in this world a few years ago, and didn't really get into it. I was all about modern folders, with a soft spot for SAKs inspired by the old Champion my dad gave me when I was a teenager.

Since that time, I've grown, cemented my career as a teacher, and had a kid. My daughter is still only 15 months old, but she's at the point where she's becoming her own little person. I'm only 30, and I feel good about where I am in life.

Random bits aside, I picked up a GEC Crown Lifter the other day and put a nice new edge on it. It hasn't left my pockets since. I love it. It's about the same size blade as my custom alox SAK, but more charming. It's also a bit thinner and the 1095 seems to hold a thin edge a bit longer. The charm of the knife really feels like it's connected to a more experienced, more relaxed and slightly older (mentally, at least) part of me.

It's seen its share of strawberries, my daughter's favorite, and it's starting a nice patina. I can tell this is going to be a thing now... So here I am on the starting end of a likely expensive addiction.

IMG_20170429_095409_zpsieltrvlr.jpg

Hey there, I'm in a similar spot. 30, kid any day now.. officially put down some roots in my neighborhood. A few years back, I came to the traditional side of things for similar reasons. It's been very very rewarding in a way that the constant one-upmanship of the modern world rarely is. There's an appreciation of simplicity and character here. A bond between equals, instead of always trying to out do each other. It's nice.

Anyways, it's been a few years now and while every new release from Queen, GEC and Case still turns my head... The idea of owning a couple customs is starting to make sense and suddenly I have one coming from Esnyx due in August. I guess that's my progression. Some people get really into one pattern, others dive into the vintage makers and some guys just like having a couple good knives to use. We're all on different paths here. So, welcome the porch! It's a fun ride.

Welcome!
If I may be so bold ...
When (there is no "if") you find a new pattern you think you might like, get it in the Rough Rider, first. Good knives (refer to the Rough Roder and Related Thread) that let you try out a lot of different patterns, without bankrupting the bank.
Better to spend $5 - $20 or so to find out you don't like how a pattern feels in hand, or carries in your pocket, is too small or too big, etc. than $50 and up.
If you do like the pattern, you can always "upgrade" to a higher on the totum name.

Great post sticktodrum sticktodrum ! I can completely understand your sentiments and what led you down this path. Very similar process for me as well. After a while all the titanium, ball bearing pivots and super steels with magic powers lost their appeal to me. Often but not always, in my opinion, with the fancy whiz bang modern folders comes a different philosophy of use or mindset. That also lost its appeal to me.

There are so many traditional patterns, cover materials, blade shapes and configurations, makers and history that it really is a pleasure to learn about. The slower pace of opening a nice knife with two hands to complete an everyday life task is much more up my mindset alley. Plus the walk and talk is half the fun

Glad to have you here and may your new found enjoyment be merciful on your wallet.

Thank you for the kind words folks, it's much appreciated.

I'll try that idea out, afishhunter afishhunter ! Thanks a lot. I've seen them for sale, good to know they're good. :)

In fairness JITDC JITDC , I still really enjoy the stuff from ZT. I'm close to the brand and love their smaller stuff. But, I'm allowing myself to grow. Just like I've always enjoyed hard rock and metal, but these days I've got more and more jazz and funk playing in my ears.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Apologies if this isn't much to start a new thread on, but I felt it was share-worthy. I tried dipping my toe in this world a few years ago, and didn't really get into it. I was all about modern folders, with a soft spot for SAKs inspired by the old Champion my dad gave me when I was a teenager.

Since that time, I've grown, cemented my career as a teacher, and had a kid. My daughter is still only 15 months old, but she's at the point where she's becoming her own little person. I'm only 30, and I feel good about where I am in life.

Random bits aside, I picked up a GEC Crown Lifter the other day and put a nice new edge on it. It hasn't left my pockets since. I love it. It's about the same size blade as my custom alox SAK, but more charming. It's also a bit thinner and the 1095 seems to hold a thin edge a bit longer. The charm of the knife really feels like it's connected to a more experienced, more relaxed and slightly older (mentally, at least) part of me.

It's seen its share of strawberries, my daughter's favorite, and it's starting a nice patina. I can tell this is going to be a thing now... So here I am on the starting end of a likely expensive addiction.

IMG_20170429_095409_zpsieltrvlr.jpg
Well, it sure looks like you have chosen very wisely already! The only additional advice I can offer is use your knife until you find some aspect about it that you would change, then look for your new one (if needed) based on that change. I think you will be surprised at how many tasks can be done with the blades you already have.

IMG_0360.jpg sticktodrum sticktodrum I agree, I still carry a modern folder pretty regularly as well. A small CRK micarta Insingo. Some habits are worth keeping;)

*but the traditionals are always with me. Pic to keep it about traditionals.

Last edited:
Folks, this is the "Traditional Forum".
Please limit discussion to traditional patterned knives when posting here.

The charm of the knife really feels like it's connected to a more experienced, more relaxed and slightly older (mentally, at least) part of me.

I feel the same about my traditional knife collection. They're far more personable to me than most of the modern knives I've owned. I only have a few "tacticals" left, which I love, but traditionals feel more honest and have far more personality and character. The snap of a a well made slipjoint opening is extremely satisfying, and the unique variations in the bone or stag or wood or even micarta make it your own, as well has how it ages over time, especially with carbon blades.

This doesn't have to be an expensive journey you know you can start with rough rider to try out patterns if you want a new knife, but old knives have muck more character and charm than a new knife does and are often had for cheep at flea markets.

What a great post! Even though I'm quite a bit older then you ( my 2 kids are young adults ), l kind of relate to all that you've said. I really enjoy my small collection of GEC knives, and recently added a few by Queen and Rough Rider. It's been a very fun ride and I enjoy the sharpening as well. Enjoy your knife, you have a great one!

View attachment 702856 sticktodrum sticktodrum I agree, I still carry a modern folder pretty regularly as well. A small CRK micarta Insingo. Some habits are worth keeping;)

*but the traditionals are always with me. Pic to keep it about traditionals.

Man, what a beautiful knife! Love the red saw cut bone. Every time one pops on the exchange its nabbed up before I can get it, or flat out not in my price range.

I'm "newish" to traditionals and to EDC of knives in general. A few years back, I too was initially attracted to flippers. But I only picked up three of those before I became drawn to the traditionals. I still have the three but have long since surpassed that number with jacks, stockmen, Barlows, peanuts, etc. The feel of bone and wood is so much more satisfying than titanium or G-10. I can't ever see myself buying another flipper, but I drool over everything GEC rolls out.

So good luck in your journey, and don't forget to post pictures of your latest and greatest!

Hello sticktodrum sticktodrum It's a familiar story and as someone said, it's not a matter of "if". I am more than twice as old as you and Dr-Mabuse Dr-Mabuse and so this may not be relevant to you since you haven't had as much time to accumulate useless junk as I have. I am fairly solid financially, but still don't like to spend money...on anything! So, what I do is look through all the "stuff" I no longer use and sell it, typically on eBay. That money then funds my knife purchases. Just one example; a couple months ago, I asked myself "do I really need five guitars". One I hadn't even taken out of the case for years! So, gone! Money for knives. It can be a little time consuming, but the added benefit is clearing out the storage room.

I'm drawn to traditional knives due to their simple beauty, timeless designs and easy utility. I look forward to picking out one to carry each morning, even if I end up going with the day before's carry. It has become part of my morning routine. Another added benefit. They tend not to scare people:)
So, welcome aboard. Let's hope you enjoy the hobby as much as the folks on this Porch do.

Back