New Kabar Wrench Knife in 425?

The wrench knife looks really cool. Probably going to order two when they are available.

I wish it was kabar's 1095cv, but according to the catalog it's 425.

https://www.kabar.com/dl/KABAR_2020_Catalog.pdf

Whats the word on 425? I haven’t seen it around before. I assume its in the 420-440 family.

Kabar catalog says its the same Rockwell on 425 as 1095cv. 56-58

I don't care too much for the technical specs and run down sheets. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with this steel?

Last edited:
the wrench knife is the first I've heard of 425 -- but I'm still going to order one, as it sounds close to the stretched handle 14 I've been asking for for years.
1/8" less blade, 3/8" more handle.

I don't see this listed on KA-BARs site anymore?

EDIT: Come think of it, I don't believe it's been listed on the KA-BAR site yet, just the catalog.

Last edited:
Buck used 425m for a number of years before switching to 420hc. (starting in the early 80s, and running 8-10 yrs, iirc)

Buck used 425m for a number of years before switching to 420hc. (starting in the early 80s, and running 8-10 yrs, iirc)

Buck used 440C before they shifted to 425M around 1981 or 1982 depending on the model in question, IIRC.

Buck used 440C before they shifted to 425M around 1981 or 1982 depending on the model in question, IIRC.
They sure did...though I'm somewhat curious about the relevance, lol.
I posted my comment as a point of reference for the people that expressed a lack of familiarity with the steel used in the knife being discussed. (Admittedly, I'm not sure how much difference the might be between 425 high carbon stainless and 425 modified).

They sure did...though I'm somewhat curious about the relevance, lol.
I posted my comment as a point of reference for the people that expressed a lack of familiarity with the steel used in the knife being discussed. (Admittedly, I'm not sure how much difference the might be between 425 high carbon stainless and 425 modified).

The only relevance is that shows what Buck used prior to introducing use of 425M. No relevance at all to the original posting as such. Lots of folks seem to want to know what steel was used in the making of knives. Some day someone is gonna make do a google search about "Buck steel before 425M" and their search will lead them to this thread in the Kabar forum and they'll get interested in Kabars.:D

Mine arrived today. Cool fixed blade knife. It's already been placed in the toolbox awaiting its first job. I ordered 3 (2 as gifts) and kept the one with the most forging marks. They definitely add great character to the knife.

ZMnMFjT.jpg
SpBxjYI.jpg
I absolutely love mine it’s a great size for everyday carry and very comfortable to hold.

ZMnMFjT.jpg
SpBxjYI.jpg
I absolutely love mine it’s a great size for everyday carry and very comfortable to hold.

You could carry that pretty subtly depending you your work environment with a simple blade cover sheath. It would just look like you're carrying a wrench around in your pocket.

Reactions: Bkg
As a matter of fact I guess that’s why the stock plastic sheath looks the way it does, very slim and minimalistic.

Back