New Khukuri Knife questions

Hello all. I recently purchased my first Khukuri knife & I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1) I think my knife is a WWII model. It has an aluminum handle with brass on both ends. The blade is 12" & the whole knife is 16.5". It looks old. Any way to tell if it is an original WWII? There are no markings at all on it.

2) Also, there is a small bent place on the tip of the blade. Would it be OK if I used my MAPP torch to heat the bade up & straighten the tip? Or should I just file off the bad place & have a more rounded over blade tip? I don't want to damage the temper of the blade if I can help it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Bamaman, I'm no expert but, I got a 15" AK used a while ago. It had a bent tip so I just used a hammer and pounded it straight. Now you have to look really hard to even tell that it was ever bent. Hope this helps.

Heber Ellsworth

Hey Bamaman, I think your fears of ruining the existing temper by using the torch are well founded. I would try gently hammering the tip back staight as Heber suggested. The tips of khukuris are left softer so it should bend back into place. If it does then you are well off, if it doesn't, well you are no worse than you are now and all you'll have to do is reshape the tip with files.

Guy Thomas

Thanks for the info Wildmanh & Silent. I followed your advice yesterday; and, after a few nervous whacks with a hammer, my Khukuri blade straightened out just fine. Now I just need to sharpen & polish the blade and this knife will be looking good. Again, thanks for the advice.:)

Back