NEW Kizer Yorkie M390/Micarta

Kizer very quietly released a new version of Yorkie equipped with thumb stud opener, liner lock construction, M390 blade steel, and Micarta scales. The new Yorkie is available in two flavors: Red Micarta scales with stonewash blade and hardware, Ivory Micarta scales with black coated blade and hardware.
I really liked the original Yorkie, but I had some difficulties opening it because I applied too much pressure on frame lock plus the flipper tab was rather slick without any jimping. This is an excellent upgrade to already good knife!
My new Yorkie arriving tomorrow, for $119 it is a very good deal! Great job Kizer!!!

Kizer very quietly released a new version of Yorkie equipped with thumb stud opener, liner lock construction, M390 blade steel, and Micarta scales. The new Yorkie is available in two flavors: Red Micarta scales with stonewash blade and hardware, Ivory Micarta scales with black coated blade and hardware.
I really liked the original Yorkie, but I had some difficulties opening it because I applied too much pressure on frame lock plus the flipper tab was rather slick without any jimping. This is an excellent upgrade to already good knife!
My new Yorkie arriving tomorrow, for $119 it is a very good deal! Great job Kizer!!!

How do you like it? That red stud Yorkie (and the stormtrooper too) looks so nice, how's the lockbar?

How do you like it? That red stud Yorkie (and the stormtrooper too) looks so nice, how's the lockbar?
My apologies for late response. I’ve been using my new Yorkie for a few weeks and my experience is very positive, with maybe two nitpicks. The knife is well made, good QC, it is centered nicely, nested steel liners are milled to help keep the knife light. Micarta scales are smooth but not slippery with very little texture. Since it is a liner lock, opening it with thumb studs is very easy. However my particular knife has very strong detent and opening it feels like a gun trigger, you are applying pressure to the thumb stud than suddenly detent breaks and knife opens. You cannot open the knife smoothly, once again maybe it is just my knife or my hands:) Additionally, when knife was open liner lock engaged a very small portion of the blade and couple of times when I opened knife slowly liner did not even lock. However after some light sanding of liner lock it engages the blade perfectly every time without any blade play. Despite these minor foibles, it is a very solid knife, another plus in my opinion because of it’s size and red colored scales it is not very threatening.

Additionally, when knife was open liner lock engaged a very small portion of the blade and couple of times when I opened knife slowly liner did not even lock.
Did you notice the early lock up / or not locking at all, from the beginning?
If this started after some time of carrying the knife there could be a very simple reason for this; pocket lint!
I have noticed this a couple of times with Kizer knives having an internal stop pin (like the Yorkie). The half-round track in the liner, where the stop pin runs in, tents to collect small dust and fibers from your pocket. At some point there is enough gathered to prevent the stop pin reaching its end position -> the blade from fully opening -> the lockbar from being able to lock behind the blade ramp.

Here are some pics of a Kizer Feist suffering the same problem;

Y5xajus.jpg

uZF10nC.jpg

Lint?
Maybe.
But Kizer is having issues with some of its recent models. And liner locks that don't always lock is one of the issues.

Lint?
Maybe.
But Kizer is having issues with some of its recent models. And liner locks that don't always lock is one of the issues.

I dunno man, I've picked up probably 18-20 Kizers in the past year, they are doing well compared to their early years and it's increasingly common to find excellent gems. It's not a big deal to clean out your internal stop pin pocketknives every once in awhile, and it's not unique to Kizer either.

Back