New knife comming

I was looking for a knife for whittling , looked into the case Seahorse Whittler . I bought a knife on eBay for 52.00 was a case xx seahorse Whittler with walnut scales new in box . The knife is numbered and has a knife collectors club on the blade . I bought the knife to use not to collect , am I wrong to use a knife that is numbered . What separates a collector # knife from a user .

No. It is a matter of proportion. It is your knife; use it, abuse it, or tuck it away for a rainy day. :D

Club knives typically don't increase in value much as I understand it. If I were looking for numbered stuff, I would look at knives with production less than 25 knives.

The traditioanal forum's 2019 knife is just shipping now and production was around 300 knives I believe. It is a nice slip joint. It would make a good whittler.

Rimfire
Thanks for answering my post , also have a cz452 varmint . The seahorse isn't the prettiest looking blade but seems strong for carving , only reason I bought it , eBay had some used priced higher but if looking to pay a higher price for different scales and the basic knife being the same , I went with the best new price . I bought the Case Kickstart for a pocket knife , it is a fancy looking knife , the seahorse will be my worker .

I have a CZ 452 Varmint too. :D Typically they are good shooters, but probably not much better than their sporters.

Design or blade shape and size are a matter of personal preference. Many people like he wharncliffe type blade for whittling and carving.

As you know, if you choose a stag handled slip joint, you usually pay more for that material. They can be quite interesting and durable scales. I generally prefer jigged bone for my users.

I was looking for a knife for whittling , looked into the case Seahorse Whittler . I bought a knife on eBay for 52.00 was a case xx seahorse Whittler with walnut scales new in box . The knife is numbered and has a knife collectors club on the blade . I bought the knife to use not to collect , am I wrong to use a knife that is numbered . What separates a collector # knife from a user .

Ultimately you cannot do anything "wrong." It's your knife...do what you want with it.

I have knives that I use, and knives that I want to keep "pretty" and look at. The latter I don't lock up in a safe, or expect to go up in value.

If at the price you paid it works for you to be a user then it is a user that is my basic rule with it. I don't buy anything not meant to be a user and my most expensive knife was upwards of $200 new.

Case makes a huge number of "limited edition" knives and various blade etches. The folks in the Traditional sub forum here can probably tell you all about the specific knife you ordered.

I'd use and not give it a second thought.

Use it. My Seahorse Whittler has worked well for me. Mine is almost too pretty to use, in Rogers jigged bone with lined bolsters, but I have used it anyway, to reshape a couple of Opinels. Rough Rider also has a seahorse whittler, a pretty nice knife, but so far, mine has been a safe queen.

You bought it with the intent to use it, so you should go out and whittle like there’s no tomorrow. If I was a collector, I may have a different outlook.

Back