New knife, send it off for repair?

I bought my first Case and it came in yesterday, a sod buster jr. It was a cheap knife, planning on using it at work. That said, it came in with the blade off center, rubbing against the side, and also a small crack around one of the pins. I went ahead and opened up a warranty ticket with Case, but now I'm having second thoughts and wanted to see what others would do in my situation. I'm not sure how to upload images yet, but will look into adding them. For now, the handle is yellow synthetic, with a cv blade. The crack is very small and most likely will not spread.

I agree, but it was an Amazon purchase. I did find a local hardware shop here that sells Case after buying it, so future purchases will be there where I can see the knife first.

I agree, but it was an Amazon purchase. I did find a local hardware shop here that sells Case after buying it, so future purchases will be there where I can see the knife first.

1) Read through Amazon's return policies here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=15015721

2) If you bought through an Amazon 3rd party seller, and they will not exchange or refund your unsatisfactory knife, let us all know who they are in the Good, Bad, and Ugly subforum here so we can all avoid that seller like the plague.

It’s always better when you can handle before buying. The small crack around the pin isn’t uncommon and like you said, most likely it won’t get any worse. The blade rubbing liners issue is the one I would be concerned about. I never used Case customer service but I have read good things them. If you reach out to them, they will probably take care of you.

It all depends on how picky you are about things like this. I don't like blades rubbing on the liners at all, but it is common with the stockman pattern. I guess it depends on "how bad it rubs"? The sod buster is a single blade knife. It should not be rubbing. But again, how important is this to you?

These kinds of things are relatively common with Case knives and I read here that they don't believe that to be a defect in their manufacture. My last Case knife was a Peanut bought at a hardware store. It is about perfect. I generally will only buy Case knives if I inspect the one I'm buying first. I buy about 50% of my knives at brick & mortar stores year to year generally. Yeah, I actually keep track.

The other common issue with Case knives are un-even dyes between jigged bone scales.

Blade rub is hard to cure with riveted construction of any knife.Cracks around the handle scales rivets were more common with a lot of Chinese slipjoints with bone scales.Why is this damage accepted on Case but considered poor QC on China brands?

Back