New Knife

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I finished this a few weeks ago, but never took a photo. It is a Cinquedea, made in 1095. Handle is Walrus ivory, fittings are 14 karat yellow gold. I tried to make the decorative pieces, but it was just too small. After the third handle, I left it plain. This is still authentic, as all Cinquedea were not decorated.
Blade length is 30mm (1.2") and OAL is 48mm ( 1.9").
Each side has two hollow ground fullers and two hollow ground edges......ground on a 1/2" wheel.

Attachments

• Cinqueda 014.jpg
    Cinqueda 014.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Stacy do you belong to the miniature knife makers group? I think I remember seeing a few other small knives you posted about too.

I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and visit the shop of Don Cowels who told me about the mini kinfes group. Seems like an interesting niche to get into.

That is sweet, Stacy,

A fixed blade legal for concealed carry in all 50 states? Probably not here in California:)

The proportion and detail look very nice, which I imagine is not easy to accomplish in a mini. I would have thought it was a typical sized knife from the picture.

Erik

alb1k,
Thanks, I pride myself in having everything exactly to scale. It is hard to do at times, when a mini can be only a few thousandths of and inch thick in places.
I used to post the photos of swords and knives without telling they were not full size. After a day of comments, I'd post a photo of it sitting on the face of a dime

Every part is made the same as a full size blade. In the case of a katana, it can be quite complex to fit the koshirae when the blade scale is 12:1. That translates to a blade only .020 thick, and a habaki that has sides only .008" thick....or 34 gauge. Such construction is like welding tin foil together. Threading and tapping of tang and pommel nut on a piece like this Cinquedea is done with an 4/0-160 tap and die. The reason I use gold and platinum for much of the very small hardware is that steel often will not work in these minute sizes.

My smallest knife to date was a dagger that was 1.5mm long.

Yep, 1/16". It was a set of five daggers. They were all alike and dropped in size by a factor of two - 25 -12-6-3-1.5mm - which is - 1";1/2";1/4";1/8";1/16". All except the 1/8 and 1/16 were made with attached guards ,ebony handles, and screwed on pommels. The two smaller knives were intregals.

I can't find the photos of that set, but here is a coke bottle folder I entered in a "Coke Bottle Challenge" a few years back. I posted it without measurements for a few days first, then posted this photo, nobody knew until then. It walks and talks, has Black Lip MOP scales, and three diamonds set in each side.

Attachments

• mini folder.jpg
    mini folder.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 83
That's insane. :eek: Are you a very very tiny person, jumping from key to key on the computer? :p:p My hands are so calloused I couldn't even pick up that nickel let alone that knife. :D

A dime.. yoiks. Sorry, 'bout that, being a Canadian I forget who's on your coins.

Seriously though, how do you work on these? With specialized tweezers and forceps and such I would imagine. Has anyone done a WIP on miniatures? It would be fascinating.

When working on a small blade, I use a 1" long piece of metal ( steel, gold, platinum).Holding the stock metal in a pin vise, I form the blade. After the blade is made, I clamp it in a second pin vise, form the tang, and cut off the excess. On most minis, this is no big deal, on very small ones it has to be done with care. In some cases, I make the whole blade and separate it when done.

The upper knife in the photo shows how I form the blade on the parent metal ( in this case a piece of 1095 file steel). In some cases I forge and then grind, in others I just grind/file.
The middle blade is one that has been cut off.
The bottom wakizashi is forged, and was left on the parent stock until the nakago was ready to finish. Then I cut it off and filed the nakago, still leaving a bit of excess to grip in the pin vise. Once the blade is sanded, hardened, and finished, the excess will be removed and the koshirae will be added. The second photo shows the 35mm wakizashi finished.

Attachments

• mini blades.jpg
    mini blades.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 33
  • minis 002.jpg
    minis 002.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here is the text from a tutorial I did on making minis.

Mini Knife Making Tutorial

Making a miniature knife is not much different than making a full sized knife. The main differences are in holding on to the parts, and seeing what you are working on.

Plans/Drawings:
You will need to have an idea what you are going to make. Draw up a full sized drawing of the knife. For instance a bowie with an 10” blade and a 6” handle. The bowie would be ¼” thick at the spine. Now, figure the scale you want to work in. For a first project 10:1 is a good place to start. That means that every inch is now .1 inch. Using a cheap HF digital micrometer, you can easily (mentally) move the decimal point and see that the mini is 1.6” long with a 1.0” blade and .6” handle and you will want the blade to be .025” thick.
If you are going to try a really small scale, use the millimeter readings, and use 1MM equals 1 inch. That is approx. 25:1.
Make all the parts of appropriate scale. It shows poor planning when the guard works out to be about ½” thick when you factor the scale in. Keeping the handle width and sizing to scale is one of the hardest parts. Often the wood/ivory is only a few thousandth of an inch thick over the tang hole.
On most minis, scaling the hardware isn’t too much of a problem, but on some things, like a habaki with walls that are only .005” thick, it can really be hard to keep to scale.

Tools:
Besides the measuring devices mentioned, an assortment of small tools are required. Some sort of holding device is a necessity. A pin vise works well, as do several other small clamping tools. When making a blade, leave the piece of parent stock on to hold as a handle for as long as possible. Tweezers, scalpel/Exacto blades, modeling saws, a jeweler’s saw with size 1/0 blade, needle files, a Dremel tool or flex shaft, size 60-80 drill bits, and clamping tweezers are all handy things to have. The same adhesives used in other knife work will work on the small scale knives. I use a lot of slow set cyanoacrylic glue.
Good lighting and magnification are needed. An optivisor, or similar hood is nearly a requirement, but a good hand magnifier will do.
Place all the tools and parts you are using on a small tray, like a lunch tray. This keeps the tiny things from rolling off the table into never-never land. It makes putting it aside to answer the phone or quit for the night much easier, too.

Materials:
You can use any piece of metal you wish to make a mini, because it doesn’t have to perform like a real knife…….but if you use steel, and make a real miniature knife, the effect ( and fun) is much greater. Any tiny scarp of knife steel, even damascus scraps, can be used. Other metals to use for the handle hardware are brass, nickel, precious metals, and of course -iron/steel.
Handles can be made from any dense and very fine grained material. - ebony, rosewoods, ivory scraps, bone, antler, even leather.

Procedures:
Shaping the profile is best done with small files or with the Dremel, using sanding drums, small abrasive wheels, and Cratex wheels. Keeping a good grip is important, because finding a ½” long blade on the floor can be hard. Holding the tang or the blade tip in a pin vise while working on it is the best way to go. Once the profile is set, proceed just like you would on any knife, by setting the plunge lines ( if this applies) and then making the bevels.
If you are going to harden the blade, do so now. For carbon steels, getting it above non-magnetic and quenching in water or brine is usually no problem. You can use oil, too. Stainless steel minis should be heat treated in a foil bag. Just stick them in with a regular knife. Temper as the steel requires. I usually give carbon steel minis a one hour temper at 400F. The tang can be drawn down softer with a small butane hobby torch if needed.
Sanding can be done with abrasive strips held ( or glued) on a popsicle stick.. Scratches look much worse on a mini, so get it smooth to at least 1000 grit. Buffing can be a trick, so until you gain good skills with the Dremel ( never try to buff a mini on a full size knife buffer), buffing with a felt/leather rouge stick is the best way to get a mirror polish.

Guard:
Once the blade is finished, it is time to fit a guard…if the style has one.
One common mistake is to make the guard too large and thick Use your micrometer and your scale drawing to determine how thin and wide the guard should be. Make the piece a bit oversized to start, and after drilling/sawing the tang slot file the profile to shape and scale.

Handle:
Select the material and cut off a piece about 50% bigger than you need. For a hidden tang ( the easiest to start with), drill the tang hole and fit it to the tang. Then start removing the excess material and shaping the handle. Trust me, if you shape the handle first, the tang will end up off center. Faux stag can be made by using ivory, bone, or antler, and carving in the texture with minute ball burs. Stain the stag and rub/sand/buff the highlights white.

Detail work:
While any mini draws good comment from observers, a few tiny details can make one really pop. A few strokes with the jeweler’s saw blade and a needle file will add file work. A tiny hole or two drilled in the handle with fake rivets ( or real rivets) glued in adds a lot. If your skill level increases enough, you can make threaded tangs and tap pommel nuts, or just make fake pommel nuts and glue them in the rear tang hole.

Back