New Laconic Budget Series in 9Cr18Mov

Chronovore

Gold Member
So Kizer recently launched their Laconic series of budget knives. They seem priced to compete with Sencut. Out of the first batch, I picked up The Swedge and the Seahorse. Both are relatively basic but seem well-made. The action is good and I'd expect nothing less from Kizer.

The steel choice is 9Cr18Mov and I'm happy about that. WE struck gold with that steel in their initial Civivi knives and now with their Sencut line. One consideration is they did that with an industry-leading heat treatment. WE's 9Cr18Mov, run closer to 60HRC, has held a noticeably better edge than 9Cr18Mov from other companies. Both from my use and from competent edge-testing I've seen, WE's 9Cr18Mov rivals Spyderco's VG-10 at a much more attractive price. Now I'm curious to see how Kizer does it.

Of course, it should be noted that even with a totally average heat treatment, 9Cr18Mov is still a significant step up in performance from the 8Cr13Mov that Kershaw, CRKT, Spyderco, etc. are using in this price range. Another thing I like about 9Cr18Mov is the excellent corrosion resistance. It is more stainless than 440C or VG-10. That can make it a nice alternative to D2 in more humid climates.

Here is a picture of my The Swedge, a shot of the first batch from whence it came, and a shot of the upcoming second batch.

NEQiz9E.jpg

ScreenHunter_1554 Sep. 23 01.05.jpg

ScreenHunter_1553 Sep. 23 01.05.jpg

So I just had The Swedge apart. Interesting construction with a couple of surprises.

- The pivot and both spacers are captured! I talked about competing with Sencut but they have free-spinning pivots at this price. Heck, Kansept has free-spinning pivots in more expensive knives.

- Multi-row bearings! 😮

These are both cool features, especially given the sub-$50 price tag. Of course, a minor con is that it is a little bit trickier to put back it together correctly. Aside from lining up all three D-shapes, you've got to get the tension just right on both sides versus the liner and the washer. Once you do though, the action is slick and the lock-up is solid.

Dso1uiy.jpg

rl69jos.jpg

nyeM7O1.jpg

The G10 slabs here had some edge and corner relief but of course, I felt the need to improve that. I went around and slightly rounded over the edges and corners.

The only places that approached discomfort were the crisp flats under the lock-bar access. Of course, that happens with lots of much more expensive knives too. I'm just picky on this sort of stuff. 😅

So, yeah. The Swedge was a total win for the price before modification. Now it's on the team! We celebrated with a Macanudo. 😜

RTjALoi.jpg

So this is the Seahorse. Like The Swedge, it looks fairly basic. Here, it really adds to the utilitarian feel. The action and lock-up are good so I'll be curious to get this one apart soon.

Unlike the Swedge, the scale edges here are pretty crisp all around. On the one hand, I suppose it adds to the grip. On the other, you know I'll be knocking those down a bit. 😜

While obviously not the same, I found myself thinking of my "utilitarian" Rat 2. At $44, this could be a compelling alternative...

2mNlrUl.jpg

So this is the Seahorse. Like The Swedge, it looks fairly basic. Here, it really adds to the utilitarian feel. The action and lock-up are good so I'll be curious to get this one apart soon.

Unlike the Swedge, the scale edges here are pretty crisp all around. On the one hand, I suppose it adds to the grip. On the other, you know I'll be knocking those down a bit. 😜

While obviously not the same, I found myself thinking of my "utilitarian" Rat 2. At $44, this could be a compelling alternative...

2mNlrUl.jpg
Yeah that looks fantastic, I guess I'd flip out if it had a high hollow grind instead but at $44 I'm having a hard time thinking of anything cooler

So the Seahorse doesn't run on multi-row bearings but that's okay. The action is decent and the lock-up is noticeably solid. I did end up rounding the scale edges and I'll try Skiff bearings when I put it back together.

Like The Swedge, both the pivot and the body screws are captured.

H7xXv8L.jpg

cRcNghP.jpg

I smoothed up the scale edges. Now it feels wonderful in my hand, with just the right amount of traction and no hot spots of any kind. Given the mostly G-10 handle, this knife is wonderfully light too. I don't know about the heat treatment yet but assuming it is decent, this was already an awesome budget entry into lightweight carry.

Lock-up was solid and the action was pretty good from the box. While the Seahorse doesn't run on multi-row bearings like The Swedge, it uses the 3/64" bearings that Kizer has switched over to using in the last year or two. That has been a boon to the action of their knives in general. Of course, Skiff does it better and installing them here put this knife over the top. 💜

GyMpUsI.jpg

I carried the Porcupine from this series today. I've been playing around with this one and I think that it too needs some mods. Don't get me wrong. The design choices here are fun, almost like a poor-man's Yojimbo but obviously less extreme. Still, as with that knife, a transition for more rounded or neutral ergonomics here will be better for me. Not sure when I get to it, but I'll get to it.

There might be a theme here in modifying these guys but that's one think I like about budget knives. Lower replacement costs encourages me to mess around with them. An added benefit with modern Kizers in general is easy assembly and disassembly with good hardware. An added benefit with the Laconic series is more G10 and less liner. For instance, most of the protrusions on this one are all scale, making them easy to sand or otherwise manipulate.

UfIapb6.jpeg

Back