New LCC and a couple Q's

Greeting All,
I got my first MT, an LCC M/A (plain edge, Stonewash) on Friday (thanks Earl @ GP Knives) an it's truly one fine knife!
smile.gif
All the hype I've read is true. The lock-up is near perfect, with the liner making full contact with the tang. I've noticed that I can change the amount the liner engages the tang by rotating the pivot stud and re-tightening. I've also polished and glass beaded all the hardware and pocket clip (gives a more silvery-satin look as opposed to flat gray) and polished the bolsters with 400 grit emery paper to remove all the tool marks, then scotch-brighted and #0000 steel wooled 'em. I got a nice satin/brushed look. Question, how does one remove the thumb studs, without damaging them. I'd like to glass bead them also. I put a 30-degree edge on the blade. Any others put such a shallow edge on their LCC's with good results? I haven't used the knife hard yet, and I'll keep a close eye to see how well the edge holds up. FYI, the blade checks in at 61.5RC on an industrial Rockwell tester.

Russ (diggin his new LCC
biggrin.gif
)

edit: change 62.5 R/C to 61.5 R/C

[This message has been edited by Bertrand (edited 03-05-2001).]

How did you do the glass beading?

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

General,
I used a bench top sandblaster. It's filled with a mixture of glass beads and talcum powder (no kiddin'). I have it set at 20 psi. Leaves a nice satin finish.

Russ

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bertrand:
I put a 30-degree edge on the blade. Any others put such a shallow edge on their LCC's with good results? I haven't used the knife hard yet, and I'll keep a close eye to see how well the edge holds up. FYI, the blade checks in at 62.5RC on an industrial Rockwell tester.

Russ (diggin his new LCC
biggrin.gif
)
</font>

The edge on mine is 34º.
it's kinda funny, i bought a wooden block with predrilled holes at 17º with medium ceramic rods, and the factory edge just happend to be exactly 17º on each side.
so now i use this sharpening system for my LCC. the edge holds up well. the edge is very fine and it cuts very well.
i can't really be as rough with it as i can my benchmade 710bt, but that's because it has an edge of 50º (25º on each side).

------------------
~Fumbler
the crazied knife weilding Sarah McLachlan fan =)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bertrand:
FYI, the blade checks in at 62.5RC on an industrial Rockwell tester.</font>

62.5 RC?!
eek.gif
That's on up there, especially for 154CM, isn't it?!

<u>note to self:</u> DO NOT pry with my LCC; not even money from my wallet.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Actually, it's 61.5, sorry for the typo. I checked the LCC's blade 3 times to verify the reading and yes, that is a bit high. The blade could be brittle. BTW, the blade is #0800, 08/2000.

Russ

My LCC is #0876. What angle is the factory edge on this blade. I am carrying it right now, but really don't know how to tell.

My sharpening system is the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I have neve had to sharpen this LCC yet. It is the black ceramic coated blade,partially serrated.

What kind of grind is it?

Thanks,

------------------
Lundo

Thanks Russ. Like you said, still seems high.

------------------
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce
Most dog owners are at length able to teach themselves to obey their dog. - Robert Morley

iktomi

Back