New LE D2/CF Rat-1 Rival Gayle Bradley 1 or 2?

So, never owning either of these knives, but reading about them, does anyone think this new limited edition carbon fiber Rat-1 in D2 will rival either the Spyderco Gayle Bradley or Gayle Bradley 2 for a fraction of the cost?

I have a couple of Rat 1's and a Gayle Bradley 1. Ive never handled the Gayle Bradley 2, and havent gotten my hands on the new D2 Rats yet.

But the GB 1 is a beast of a knife, and exceptionally well made. While the D2 Rats will be nice I am sure, the GB 1 is really a midtech or semi-custom knife. Its just that good. But I am still super excited to get a D2 Rat 1!

Had a GB2 for about a week.. Sent it back.. Didn't like the feel and the liner lock release.. Hard to use.. Then got the Rat1.. Its a keeper and one of my most carried.. John

Had a GB2 for about a week.. Sent it back.. Didn't like the feel and the liner lock release.. Hard to use.. Then got the Rat1.. Its a keeper and one of my most carried.. John

Would you say the Rat-1 is up for the same tasks as the GB?

NASCAR it sounds like you're trying to receive some validation that the rat folder would be a wise purchase....I'm sure it would be , but don't expect it to equal the quality and toughness of the Bradley folder.

NASCAR it sounds like you're trying to receive some validation that the rat folder would be a wise purchase....I'm sure it would be , but don't expect it to equal the quality and toughness of the Bradley folder.

Thanks. I already own several Rat Model 2 knives. I ordered this LE Rat Model 1 the other night. It will be my 1st Model 1. I follow the Spyderco product line and owners tought how rugid and hard use the GB 1/2 are. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone put those knives head-to-head and wanted to comment.

The GB have full carbon fiber slabs as scales whereas the RAT has G10 laminated with carbon fiber.

Plus the GB comes with CPM-M4 where the RAT is D2. CPM-M4 is considerably better in hardness and toughness. GBs are ran at 62-64 HRC if I remember right, and even if Ontario did D2 to that level (which is unlikely since you hardly ever see D2 at greater than 60 HRC except on customs) it still wouldn't have the wear resistance of M4.

So it's hard to compare the two really but I wouldn't conclude the RAT 1 doesn't have its own merits. D2 is a really well liked hard-use steel. It would be cool to know what hardness they're running it at but it's probably at 58-60 HRC. Long story short it's a really substantial upgrade over the regular AUS 8. Plus while the carbon fiber is only laminate it's still over G10 which is a fairly premium material on its own.

I mean there are other blade manufacturers out there who would sell a knife of these materials for 100 or more. So it's a hell of a value.

The GB have full carbon fiber slabs as scales whereas the RAT has G10 laminated with carbon fiber.

Plus the GB comes with CPM-M4 where the RAT is D2. CPM-M4 is considerably better in hardness and toughness. GBs are ran at 62-64 HRC if I remember right, and even if Ontario did D2 to that level (which is unlikely since you hardly ever see D2 at greater than 60 HRC except on customs) it still wouldn't have the wear resistance of M4.

So it's hard to compare the two really but I wouldn't conclude the RAT 1 doesn't have its own merits. D2 is a really well liked hard-use steel. It would be cool to know what hardness they're running it at but it's probably at 58-60 HRC. Long story short it's a really substantial upgrade over the regular AUS 8. Plus while the carbon fiber is only laminate it's still over G10 which is a fairly premium material on its own.

I mean there are other blade manufacturers out there who would sell a knife of these materials for 100 or more. So it's a hell of a value.
Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't have the new limited edition Rat 1 but do have the standard Rat 1 and the Gayle Bradley 1. While the Rat 1 is an amazing knife for the money, the Gayle Bradley is just in another league when it comes to fit and finish, steel, build quality, ruggedness, etc.

That being said, I suspect the Rat 1 will probably handle 99.99% of various daily tasks just as well as the GB if not subjected to really hard use.

thumb studs > thumb hole

I don't enjoy the added bulk from the thumb hole but that's a matter of personal opinion.

The GB has laminated scales too. They just have a bit more texture to them.

Back