New M-43 review

My m-43 came today and I could not be happier with it.

Fittings: Brass
Handle: Wood
Over all length (tip to center of the butt cap): 18 1/4 inch
Weight:28-30 oz
Blade length: 12 1/2
Spline thickness: 7/16
Handle diameter: 5 1/2
Bolster to Cho: 3/4
Kami: Durba (?) Two right triangle flags

It is said that the Kukri will find you. I got to say this is every thing I wanted in a M-43.

The fit and Finnish is a strong 9.5 out of 10 and only if I nit pick the work.

The blade shape and form is even and flows very nice in to a sharp point. The spine is straight and the peak is well centered with only the slightest wiggle. If you hold the sides just right and tip it you can see the hammer marks in the reflection but you have to look for them. The grind lines are better than many "Production ' knifes I own and much better than the biggest sized name brand knifes I have seen.

The Kami did as well with a fire pit and a crude anvil than the knife industry standard using the latest CNC tooling.

The handle is just a little fatter than perfect so I can slim it to fit. To me that is 'out of the box' perfect. I did a very quick test chop on a 7-8 inch (dead) tree I have been saving for it and found no 'hot spots', but suspect extended use would rub a spot at the top point of the butt. A very simple shape and polish with 220 sand paper will fix that in 5-10 minuets.

The bolster is a little over sized at the blade and the butt cap has 2 dings from peening it on, But the exposed tang is fit very well and the extra La La is almost none. The grain in the wood is .....'Alive' and time was taken to align it with the flow of the handle so it flows with the flair of the butt and very slight curve of the handle.

This blade was formed by a craftsman/ artist. I am truly pleased with the effort that went in to its creation.

The edge was sharp, not 'Hair popping, paper cutting" sharp, but usable and even the length of the blade. It has a flat grind with no convex. I etched with vinegar to see the Harmon. I was pleased to see it starts 2 1/2 inch from the forward edge of the cho and runs a uniform 3/8 inch all the way to the tip with a swell to 13/16 thick at the belly. I find I use the tip of a chopper a lot for smaller cuts like limbing. This knife was made for me!

The sheath is well made and other than needing a little edge dressing (die)around the karda and chakmak and the edges of the frog every bit as nice as the blade it is for. The fit is probably lose for some but I like it. Turned upside down it will hold but the blade will drop 1/2 out if shook. The karda and Chakmak fit snug and will not drop.

I was cleaning the wood line of the yard when the postman got here so after a 'very' quick inspection it was time to chop. I started with a few low limbs and worked up. There was a slight learning curve to get use to the blade shape. (bad pun intended?) It contacts sooner than I was ready for at first. Once I figured the swing/timing out it was not safe for any thing up to about 2 inches including free hanging vines. Yup, it slices, lets see how it chops.

The chop test was a 7-8 inch standing hard wood. Dry and seasoned hard. It did not stand a chance. The flat grind stuck just a little on the deepest cuts, more a hesitation than a stick. Even with the learning curve it bit a solid 1/2-5/8 deep, equal to my Eastwing hatchet that weighs 8 oz more and is much sharper. It did have a tendency to twist in the hand when the swing was off a little but I think that taking a little round out of the handle and more familiarization that will pass.

I saw no loss of edge when I was done even though the wood felt like I was cutting rock.

At almost 2 lbs. it was still very lively and quick in the hand and hit with authority. A little practice, slim and egg shape the handle and a convex edge and this will be as close to perfect as a M-43 gets.

Thank you Yangdu this is truly a fine tool. Again HI has out done my expectations.

Sounds like you got a real keeper, congrats.

Great review as well, good discription that makes the blade feel as though it's right next to me. :)

If your kukri is newer then the napel flag mark is by Vim.

Skyler R.
Thanks, these things should come with a secret decoder ring for the Kamis.

Wolf_1989
Yes it is but it took me a wile to warm up to it. I had the AK/WWII shape in my mind when I thought Khurkri. A lesson in preconceived notions I guess.

The M 43 was my first khukuri, and still have it. I did allot of chopping with it when camping. I had a second, but a friend talked me out of it while on the trip. I missed that beautiful neem handle the other day.
I'm on the look out for another though.

:)

I've got two M-43s - one with a wood handle and the other with antler. I'd like to get a horn-handled model someday to round out the "awesome M-4threesome." Congrats. :)

Eric

M43 hits like a ton of bricks, due to the geometry and weight. I think they're slightly more dangerous to the user as it'll cut through a lot of things and still keep going.

Usually they're in nickle silver, not brass :confused: at least mine (29 oz.) is.

Good read. :thumbup: Glad you dig it.

Mike

Thanks for the review. The M43 is a long-time favorite, and it looks like the pattern has converted someone else!

Thanks all.

In true HI form the M-43 picked me as a first. I, like many other newbies, browsed the HI sight and cruised the old forms and thought I had a plan.

1) UBE
2) 18 in CAK
3) AK bowie
Then the Military models.

The UBE and CAK I want to special order/ hand pick for handle, weight, Kami etc. but my timing couldn't have been worse. When I e mailed my request customs had seized the shipment, Bura had a death in the family and several other things so Yangdu could not take special orders.

So I went down my list and ordered an AK bowie, was tickled with my self and then realized I still did not have a Khurkri.

So I start watching the DODs hoping the just right would show up. I missed several CAKs by Sgt. K. but no UBE. (you sharks are relentless) Then a M-43 came up that did not get sharked. I found my self clicking back to it several times and ended up doing a search.

The call of the Khurk was stronger than the will of the man. In my own defense I lasted almost 20 hours before I broke. Had I made one more DOD I may have won the struggle but this one wanted me so its for the best.

The Khukri gods have spoken.

Nice review, thank you GUN SNOB

Back