New micrographs of 42 knife steels

So, Nickel makes most sense in steels at or below the euctoid point, to help avoid the retained austenite issue.

So, Nickel makes most sense in steels at or below the euctoid point, to help avoid the retained austenite issue.
Yes or high alloy steels that do not need to reach 66 Rc. They typically have 0.7% or less carbon, usually 0.6% or less. And high temperature tempering can help with excessive retained austenite. Steels like Z-Tuff but with more carbide could be designed.

Yes or high alloy steels that do not need to reach 66 Rc. They typically have 0.7% or less carbon, usually 0.6% or less. And high temperature tempering can help with excessive retained austenite. Steels like Z-Tuff but with more carbide could be designed.

Like k600 (45NiCrMo16) steel.:)

A super important resource for the edge tool world ! ! !
Thank you VERY much !

:rolleyes: . . . er . . . I hesitate to even ask . . . er . . .
What about M4 ?:rolleyes:

Is it so close to M2 in appearance that it isn't worth including ? You know I have M4 on the brain (and mostly always in the pocket) :)

. . . and it would be interesting for me to see S30V next to S35VN.
My opinion / knowledge of these two seems to be constantly changing.
I wasn't so interested in my knives with S35VN until I started using the Ranch Boss that I just got and it seems superior to my other examples in edge durability and right up there with HAP40 though I haven't used it long enough to say for sure.

Always somebody "complaining" right :D

Thank you sooooo much for this work Larrin !

PS : fascinating to see N690 ! ! !
Probably the steel that has surprised me most from what I expected (I expected a little better H1 and got a brother to XHP !) .

Last edited:
A super important resource for the edge tool world ! ! !
Thank you VERY much !

:rolleyes: . . . er . . . I hesitate to even ask . . . er . . .
What about M4 ?:rolleyes:

Is it so close to M2 in appearance that it isn't worth including ? You know I have M4 on the brain (and mostly always in the pocket) :)

. . . and it would be interesting for me to see S30V next to S35VN.
My opinion / knowledge of these two seems to be constantly changing.
I wasn't so interested in my knives with S35VN until I started using the Ranch Boss that I just got and it seems superior to my other examples in edge durability and right up there with HAP40 though I haven't used it long enough to say for sure.

Always somebody "complaining" right :D

Thank you sooooo much for this work Larrin !

PS : fascinating to see N690 ! ! !
Probably the steel that has surprised me most from what I expected (I expected a little better H1 and got a brother to XHP !) .

M4 samples are heat treated, awaiting surface grinding. High and low temper samples have been done.

These studies and articles are awesome. Thank you for putting so much time and effort in and everybody else that has been supplying samples grinding or heat treating .

Here is one of the micrographs of CPM M4 from the PDF Larrin linked to. CPM M4 austenitized at 2100°F, tempered 1025°F.

FZooN3V.png

Oh, wait a minute, that's not right. That is the micrograph of a proprietary alloy I am working on called "Stuartsmelt". Here is the CPM M4:

TPvgWJx.png

Here is one of the micrographs of CPM M4 from the PDF Larrin linked to. CPM M4 austenitized at 2100°F, tempered 1025°F.

FZooN3V.png

Oh, wait a minute, that's not right. That is the micrograph of a proprietary alloy I am working on called "Stuartsmelt". Here is the CPM M4:

TPvgWJx.png
That Stuartsmelt though :D

Larryn, thanks a lot. T
This article is really very interesting, as are all the others.

Back