1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New model drawing frenzy.

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Dec 1, 2017.

1. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Thanks Vance!! Looks like the handles a little thicker and shorter?

2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    my pleasure

the actual length of the scale material can vary from knife to knife. Cody bases the scale length on how far back the primary grind is take back towards the guard/ricasso area .
    they both are super comfortable in my hand.
    im blown away with the Gnome so far. It's a "game changer" for me.

Warrior108 and Oyster like this.
  3. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I like the idea of the kitchen hatchet. Please put a hole st the front !

4. jackal_727

jackal_727 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I'll take an elf and reaper in Osage. Thanks :thumbsup:

MTBmonkey likes this.
  5. Oyster

Oyster Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2011
    I’d still love to have the BT in red :)

Something tells me these will all go quickly.

6. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I'm very excited about these! I'm excited to use that Bushtasker. The Gnome is my best tiny knife I think. The Elf feels differently in the hand than any knife I've made. Nimble is the word. That one with a tapered tang is so light it isn't there almost. I'm interested to see what y'all think of it in use.

7. SA Condor

SA Condor Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2014
    You’re killing me! All these models are right in my favorite size range.

Fiddleback and Oyster like this.
  8. Oyster

Oyster Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 2, 2011
    +1 ^This

I’m new to Fiddlebacks - only discovered a few months ago. Now I have three and the list of “want-to-haves” (maybe make that “must-haves”) keeps growing - esp. in the 3” - 4” blade range (3.5” hits the sweet spot for me). It’s become a distraction at work, my gf is showing signs of jealousy... It’s a problem :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  9. a2vg1095

a2vg1095 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Don't worry, all those symptoms are normal after you get hit with the Fiddleback bug. :)

Fiddleback, Oyster and Choppaman like this.
  10. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    The Gnome as landed! Or maybe the Gnome has surfaced? Whatever Gnomes do, I have one in hand and wanted to provide my first impressions along with some photos.

Right off the bat, I can tell this is going to be an awesome little knife. It feels good in hand. It seems to work well with a thumb or forefinger on the spine providing either power to the cut or very fine control over it. One small improvement I immediately noticed, though, would be to bevel the edges of the butt just a little to increase comfort when the butt is nestled in your palm.
    [​IMG]

This is my smallest Fiddleback. The closest in size from my collection is a Pocket Kephart. The Gnome's dimensions are stated in the FF thread, but I've included them here for convenience:
    OAL: 5 5/8"
    Blade: 2 1/2"
    Handle: 3 1/8"
    Weight: 3.2 oz

The balance point is between the pins, perhaps just a tad bit closer to the second set.

Following are couple of comparative photos. The first shows all four knives aligned at the butt. They don't appear so in the photo, but a straightedge was placed perpendicular to the mat on the 12-inch line, and the knives were positioned up against it. The second shows all knives aligned at their plunge line. The knives used in this comparison are, top to bottom,
    • Pocket Kephart
    • Gnome
    • Esquire
    • Handyman
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Gnome fits nicely in a Diomedes Industries APS Baron, although it sits pretty deep. I don't have one to try out, but a Diomedes Industries APS Gent may be a better fit. I imagine any sheath that fits a Pocket Kephart or Runt would also work just as well for a Gnome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    pertinux, Odaon, PolRoger and 8 others like this.
  11. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Great post! There is someting about this knife. Phillip is all about it too.

12. Thorns

Thorns

Nov 22, 2016
    Loven the new models!
    Really into the Elf me self.

Bmurray and Choppaman like this.
  13. Chris8

Chris8 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2013
    The elf in 3/32 cpm154 or aeb-l would make a great bird and trout knife. I'm stoked to see some stainless in the last Friday thread!

Bmurray and Nbrackett like this.
  14. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    We will be using more Aebl on fiddlebacks in the future.

schmittie, Bmurray, TLA and 3 others like this.
  15. Chris8

Chris8 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Good to hear Andy.

16. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    Here's a comparison of a Gnome in a Diomedes Industries APS Gent (on the left) and APS Baron.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Replaced photo after noticing the Gnome was not fully seated in the Gent. Mischievous little Gnome!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Odaon and Nbrackett like this.
  17. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Thats a cool pic. It'll help folks a lot. Thanks!

RobbieB and Odaon like this.
  18. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Nice pics!

Are you able to say when your sheaths were made (ballpark)?

~ P.

19. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    I received the Gent last week and the Baron back in July/August 2017. I've used the Baron to carry various Esquires, and have applied Sno-Seal to it once. In my experience, that darkens the leather a bit more than the Montana Pitch Blend Jason uses, although I'm experimenting with MPB now to see which I prefer.

FYI - The Gnome was not fully seated in the original picture, so I just edited the post with a new one.