New model drawing frenzy.

Thanks Vance!! Looks like the handles a little thicker and shorter?
my pleasure

the actual length of the scale material can vary from knife to knife. Cody bases the scale length on how far back the primary grind is take back towards the guard/ricasso area .
they both are super comfortable in my hand.
im blown away with the Gnome so far. It's a "game changer" for me.

I’d still love to have the BT in red :)

Something tells me these will all go quickly.

I'm very excited about these! I'm excited to use that Bushtasker. The Gnome is my best tiny knife I think. The Elf feels differently in the hand than any knife I've made. Nimble is the word. That one with a tapered tang is so light it isn't there almost. I'm interested to see what y'all think of it in use.

I'm very excited about these! I'm excited to use that Bushtasker. The Gnome is my best tiny knife I think. The Elf feels differently in the hand than any knife I've made. Nimble is the word. That one with a tapered tang is so light it isn't there almost. I'm interested to see what y'all think of it in use.
You’re killing me! All these models are right in my favorite size range.

You’re killing me! All these models are right in my favorite size range.
+1 ^This

I’m new to Fiddlebacks - only discovered a few months ago. Now I have three and the list of “want-to-haves” (maybe make that “must-haves”) keeps growing - esp. in the 3” - 4” blade range (3.5” hits the sweet spot for me). It’s become a distraction at work, my gf is showing signs of jealousy... It’s a problem :)

Last edited:
+1 ^This

I’m new to Fiddlebacks - only discovered a few months ago. Now I have three and the list of “want-to-haves” (maybe make that “must-haves”) keeps growing - esp. in the 3” - 4” blade range (3.5” hits the sweet spot for me). It’s become a distraction at work, my gf is showing signs of jealousy... It’s a problem :)

Don't worry, all those symptoms are normal after you get hit with the Fiddleback bug. :)

The Gnome as landed! Or maybe the Gnome has surfaced? Whatever Gnomes do, I have one in hand and wanted to provide my first impressions along with some photos.

Right off the bat, I can tell this is going to be an awesome little knife. It feels good in hand. It seems to work well with a thumb or forefinger on the spine providing either power to the cut or very fine control over it. One small improvement I immediately noticed, though, would be to bevel the edges of the butt just a little to increase comfort when the butt is nestled in your palm.
27791579489_720fb9624c_b.jpg

This is my smallest Fiddleback. The closest in size from my collection is a Pocket Kephart. The Gnome's dimensions are stated in the FF thread, but I've included them here for convenience:
OAL: 5 5/8"
Blade: 2 1/2"
Handle: 3 1/8"
Weight: 3.2 oz

The balance point is between the pins, perhaps just a tad bit closer to the second set.

Following are couple of comparative photos. The first shows all four knives aligned at the butt. They don't appear so in the photo, but a straightedge was placed perpendicular to the mat on the 12-inch line, and the knives were positioned up against it. The second shows all knives aligned at their plunge line. The knives used in this comparison are, top to bottom,
  • Pocket Kephart
  • Gnome
  • Esquire
  • Handyman
39567550691_4ee107d407_b.jpg

39567551301_37704c51aa_b.jpg

The Gnome fits nicely in a Diomedes Industries APS Baron, although it sits pretty deep. I don't have one to try out, but a Diomedes Industries APS Gent may be a better fit. I imagine any sheath that fits a Pocket Kephart or Runt would also work just as well for a Gnome.
39567548311_566cc4056b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great post! There is someting about this knife. Phillip is all about it too.

Here's a comparison of a Gnome in a Diomedes Industries APS Gent (on the left) and APS Baron.
25801342428_114000c6a1_o.jpg

Edit: Replaced photo after noticing the Gnome was not fully seated in the Gent. Mischievous little Gnome!

Last edited:
Are you able to say when your sheaths were made (ballpark)?
I received the Gent last week and the Baron back in July/August 2017. I've used the Baron to carry various Esquires, and have applied Sno-Seal to it once. In my experience, that darkens the leather a bit more than the Montana Pitch Blend Jason uses, although I'm experimenting with MPB now to see which I prefer.

FYI - The Gnome was not fully seated in the original picture, so I just edited the post with a new one.

Back