new mora sheath

I decided finally that I didn't like the look on my mora plastic sheath so I did something about it. I decided to make a sheath. This is my first try on making a sheath and was a good exp. plus my knife looks a little more nice. :D thought you might want to see and any comments on how to make a better sheath would be appreciated.

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000347yn8.jpg

sorry about bad photography

looks like a good solid sheath. someday i'm going to get some leather together and make some decent sheaths for my cheap knives, like the moras and paring knives.

on that sheath, the only thing i can think of is that maybe you could make the stitching a little more even next time. its hard to do without a little stitch marking wheel, but you can get a small ruler and mark your points with a sharpie, then drill them or punch them (a good idea for punching them that i've seen is chucking up an awl point in drill press, and then using that to press it through the leather.)...that will keep it a little more even. also, i would suggest putting two stitches through each hole...so that instead of over under it looks like its over over...two alternating over under stitches at the same time.

looks like a good first attempt though! keep at it, they will only get better.

Siguy, I really like that idea of marking the holes out before I don't know why I didn't think of that?:confused: Thanks for the advice

Very nice. Here's my own attempt at improving on the stock Mora 760 sheath:

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

Style2anumbered.jpg

I couldn't load the image of your sheath but, any effort to "make our own" wins me over.:thumbup:

Try a fork for marking your holes. To keep them the same distance from the edge, use a compass (not the kind you find your way in the woods with). Set the pencil point about a quater of an inch from the center-point and use the center-point as a guide along the edge, using the pencil to lightly make a line to follow - like scribing a piece of moulding or paneling to an irregular surface. Use the last mark the fork makes to register the first tine for the next three marks. I like Siguy's drill-press idea too. WIthout a stitching pony, keeping the holes straight from front to back can be a pain.

Nice Kydex, Longbeachguy! Looks like you put a little effort into your edges.:thumbup: It takes a few more minutes but it looks a lot nicer than a belt-grinder edge with Kydex boogers filling the openings. I use a sponge-type sanding block after a fine file to clean the edges up - cheap and effective.

Nice Kydex, Longbeachguy! Looks like you put a little effort into your edges.:thumbup: It takes a few more minutes but it looks a lot nicer than a belt-grinder edge with Kydex boogers filling the openings. I use a sponge-type sanding block after a fine file to clean the edges up - cheap and effective.

Thanks! Yes, I start with a belt sander on the edges then finish with 220 then 400 grit sandpaper. You pretty much get a polished edge after that.

I kind of like the rough home-spun pre-industrial revolution look. I can see a guy back in the 1700's sitting around a fire talking to his horse, drinking whiskey, freezing his butt off, and knocking together a sheath. It's quick and simple. It gets the job done until he can get to a rendezvous, and it looks pretty authentic to me. It's what my sheaths look like, even without any whiskey, and it looks okay to me. It isn't so pretty that someone might want to steal it from me. It protects me from the knife and it protects the knife from the elements. My two cents.:)

I decided finally that I didn't like the look on my mora plastic sheath so I did something about it. I decided to make a sheath. This is my first try on making a sheath and was a good exp. plus my knife looks a little more nice. :D thought you might want to see and any comments on how to make a better sheath would be appreciated.

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000347yn8.jpg

sorry about bad photography

Any sheath that holds the knife securely and safely, and is durable, is a winner in my book, especially on a user.

Did you put a welt in the seam?

Andy