New motor for a grinder

Here's a new motor to put on a grinder.

motor 1.jpg motor 2.jpg

I just hope it's got enough power... what do you guys think??? ;)

motor 3.jpg

There are 115k volt lines running to that building... no need for a VFD. Just plug'n play! ;) :)

BTW- That's a 3.875" diameter shaft. And the motor is worth about the same as a brand new 4wd pick-up. :eek: ;)

It's only 890 rpm though, not so good with those fancy ceramic belts.

I think it could handle being geared up a bit.

The almost four inch shaft really puts some perspective on those pictures. What's the recommended application for that beast?

no way Nick! That thing doesn't have the balls drive a grinder... everyone knows you need at LEAST 500 hp.
:-D

Wow, I thought the 40 hp motors we use at work on our conveyers were big...

That thing has "serious" written all over it!

You wouldn't need a drive wheel! Where do you get that kind of voltage?

Should be okay, just don't lean into it too hard.

2,300 volts. ...nope...

Looks like something they may use in a municipal water pumping station. or an extremely large fan.

I've worked on some at Semens that would really make your eyes bulge. Just the copper "wire" in it was 2 inch diameter. Never thought of getting one for the shop. Where does one find 4 x 576 ft belts?

Before I left my Machinist job we built a hydraulic test station for a factory in Mexico. It had 3 electric motors like those that Nick posted, and 2 more as backup. The unit was supposed to pump something crazy like 100,000 gallons a minute at 6000 psi. When we tested it for the customer we had to rent 3 large generators to provide power. They made the floor vibrate and the whole shop hummed when everything was running.

J.- those lines come in right from the BPA (Bonneville Power Administration). The 115k lines actually run to substations which then distribute the power to various parts of the mill. When doing any work around them with the 25-90 ton cranes, the operators have to keep the boom a minimum of 15 feet from the lines. I'm told the arc from those lines can jump about 10 feet to stuff like the crane boom.

There many things at the paper mill that require that kind of power. Just one example are the hydrapulper tubs. For simplicity's sake here: imagine a big-ass blender for beating up craft paper (grocery bags/concrete sacks/Kleenex box material) back into pulp. The tub is 20' in diameter and 20' deep. It's "blended" with 2 big rotors. EACH rotor is powered by a motor just like the one I posted.

There are a lot of motors down there with a lot more output than this one, but the 450 hp units are the biggest ones I know of that still basically look just like the 1-3 hp motors we all use... especially if you don't put something in the photo for a size reference. ;) :)

What's REALLY crazy... Most of us here do a lot of pondering, shopping, and head scratching before we will pull the trigger on purchasing a 1-3hp motor... that's gonna cost somewhere between $100-400 right?

Well, two of these motors burned up in the last couple weeks. And there's always a new $35,000+ motor sitting in inventory... ready to get shoved in place as soon as the old one is ripped out.

There are literally THOUSANDS of 25-100 hp motors all over the place at the mill.

Last edited:
BTW- That's a 3.875" diameter shaft. And the motor is worth about the same as a brand new 4wd pick-up. :eek: ;)[/QUOTE]

Funny. The first thought that I had was "man you're gonna have to turn down that shaft to get one of Nathan's discs on there"

There's probably enough scrap metal value in that thing to buy several motors and VFD' s at full retail.

I'd love to hear one of my 'off the grid' neighbors thoughts on that kind of power consumption... lol.

-Eric

So THAT'S where you've been hiding out last few weeks...in the paper mill :D

good to see you back in circulation, so to speak !

Hate to see the electric bill for that place:eek:

Bill Flynn

Back