new OLD 110's

I cleaned up a few outstanding early Buck knives for a friend yesterday.Mostly Unused 110's that were 40+ years old.They were in the old boxes with papers and all.Some had the old Doe skin sheaths.It was pretty awesome to see.He was kind enough to give me these 3 that had been lightly used for the service.One is marked Buck only with a dot.The other 2 are Buck usa.The one pictured on the bottom has an different looking wood with a very large grain.It is not the macassar ebony.Also it's not pinned except by the brass pivot.I collect these oldies and have several and have had dozens in the past that i've sold and traded and i've never seen this wood before.Or perhaps just never noticed the difference.Does anyone know what this might be?
IMG_3461.jpg

I don't think there were any other kinds of wood used back in those days. Could it be that your simply looking at a weird variation of the Macassar ebony? I know there are a lot of variations in wood within a particular species.

I think Mike is on track, everything I've read & heard, the Third & Fourth Version 110s have Macassar ebony inlays. Any chance it's not an original inlay?

No,It's original i believe.It must just be a wierd spot in the wood.I clean up one other that had a definate Orange tint to it.These were in a collection with a bunch of prototypes and other mega cool stuff,so
IMG_3459.jpg
there is no telling.

Sticker... Nice bunch of 110's.:thumbup:What did you use on the bosters to clean them up?

Hawkeye

PLS, did you take pics of all the other 110 knives that you cleaned up... The ones that you got are great, but would love too see the other too... :thumbup:

PLS, did you take pics of all the other 110 knives that you cleaned up... The ones that you got are great, but would love too see the other too... :thumbup:

No,It was 100+ degrees in my shop,i was polishing and he was wiping them down with a towel and putting them away and getting another ready for me.We got them done and got out of there asap.I use a tight sewn 8" buffing wheel with green chrome,white,and or pink compound.If they are really dinged or scratched i hand sand or machine sand them 1st.There were also 122 Nemos NEW(yes plural),white handled 120 ,119,and on down,many other things that made me drool.Perhaps he will share pics here at some point.I am honor bound to now zip my lip about it.

I cleaned up a few outstanding early Buck knives for a friend yesterday.Mostly Unused 110's that were 40+ years old.They were in the old boxes with papers and all.Some had the old Doe skin sheaths.It was pretty awesome to see.He was kind enough to give me these 3 that had been lightly used for the service.One is marked Buck only with a dot.The other 2 are Buck usa.The one pictured on the bottom has an different looking wood with a very large grain.It is not the macassar ebony.Also it's not pinned except by the brass pivot.I collect these oldies and have several and have had dozens in the past that i've sold and traded and i've never seen this wood before.Or perhaps just never noticed the difference.Does anyone know what this might be?
IMG_3461.jpg

I recently got a 112 on the auction site that has that same wood as the one on the bottom and the guy said it was California red wood. I dunno? The one in your pic is the only other one I've seen like that. I was going to have it rescaled but won't now.

BJ

I've worked a lot of ebony and handled a lot more. I think those are within the range for ebony.