1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New old axe coming for Christmas

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by plumberroy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    One of the things I had on my list was an older single bit Axe . My wife showed me what she found on eBay . It is a Collins name stamped in a box is the only markings, lots of pictures. I would guess it is a Mann U.S. made axe original blue paint good shape . it is a Michigan pattern . I showed her where and what handle to order.

That will make me a full size single bit and double bit , boys axe and cruiser dbl. bit I have a harbor freight fireman's hatchet I modded for mid sized axe .

I will only be lacking the "right" hatchet . I have 9in and 14in Fiskars Estwing dbl. bit hatchet Vaughan Half hatchet and a harbor freight hatchet I reprofiled all are decent useable tools but not the Right for me tool

Nbrackett, Square_peg and ilyk like this.
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What do you think is the right hatchet for you? How do you want to use it? Are you thinking vintage camp axe?

3. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Camp style hatchet for sure, vintage would be great. But I may look at a council tool camp hatchet or a husqvarna , I like the looks of the hults bruk tarnaby too. I would like to play with the little Vaughan mini hatchet too.

Square_peg likes this.
  4. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    You might also look at Vaughan's camp axe and riggers axe.

5. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    I have a Vaughan carpenter's hatchet it is a good tool for alot of things , I hadn't seen the camp axe Interesting .
    Reviews complain of it not being sharp #?
    It amazes me that people expect a $20 hatchet to be sharpened any where near sharp

Nbrackett likes this.
  6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    It doesn't get better than vintage. Get you a couple, a scout hatchet and a size up from that on around a sixteen to eighteen inch handle. You will probably like the bigger size better but there is a place for both. With the vintage ones the made in Sweeden thing(brands) isn't at all worth it. They are fine but the eye sizes are different in many cases and they are not better and some times not as good as the vintage made in the USA stuff. Which is why I just flip most of them on that auction sight. They usually like them much more than I do.

Square_peg and Miller '72 like this.
  7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I love my Vaughan Sub zero, especially with the better handle I made for it.
    Check out this thread.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-mini-hatchet.1325146/

8. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Garry3 how do i find your stuff "on that auction site"?

9. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Well my axe and handle are in . Axe is in great condition, handle is nearly perfect for grain .

Square_peg and Moonw like this.