New/old sometimes carry

I just got this one in a trade. Case Brothers Little Valley, all sharpened up after a 24hr oil bath and into the pocket where it's suppose to be :thumbup:
IMG_2035.jpg

Well done. Enjoy carrying that beauty! :thumbup:

Man, that's a nice one. I really like the bone, the bolsters, the shield...well heck, the whole knife is just great. :)

What a beautiful knife. Congratulations. I love seeing these old guys brought back to life and being carried.

Thanks for the compliments fellas. This is the first one I have had this old and it's a kick to carry it !

Thats one beautiful piece you have aquired there, use it and enjoy it.
Like sixhunner said, that is some sweet bone.
thanks for sharing.

Peter

What is the purpose of the oil bath? Is it for the bone?

Over time, neglected bone scales will dry out and be more susceptible to issues such as shrinking, cracking etc. The mineral oil will help the bone resist such issues as well as restore its luster and looks.

It will also help lubricate, protect and reach difficult spots such as the inside of the backspring etc and check the onslaught of oxidation.

Over time, neglected bone scales will dry out and be more susceptible to issues such as shrinking, cracking etc. The mineral oil will help the bone resist such issues as well as restore its luster and looks.

It will also help lubricate, protect and reach difficult spots such as the inside of the backspring etc and check the onslaught of oxidation.

Does it have to be mineral oil?
Can you use vegetable oil or olive oil?

Neeman, probably any oil will do the job initially, the problem with vegetable and olive oil is that it can turn rancid after a period of time.

The pharmaceutical grade of mineral oil (available in most discount stores as a laxative or even a skin moisturizer) is very inexpensive and a pint goes a long way. It's also food safe and won't turn rancid.

So, for me the pure mineral oil (without additives such as in baby oil) is the one I choose.

That's a very nice Case! Good thing you'll use it.

(and +1 for pharma grade mineral oil)

Very fine knife,you must be a proud owner!
Good size by the looks of it,can we have dimensions please?
That pattern is right up my street,such a pity that honey bone isn't used on modern knives.

Back