New Peter Rassenti

I hated the weird cuts on the handle

This. So very, very much this.

The funny thing is when Peter does the desert floor pattern on his customs, it usually looks pretty good. I guess it didn't translate well to production.

Edited to add: like this:
nirvana_integral_173896_1.jpg

For me it is not ever close. I like the looks of the Paysan a LOT more than the Nirvana, completely ignoring the texture differences. I agree that the lock-insert screws are not aesthetically pleasing, but otherwise, vastly more beautiful to my eyes. Best looking Spyderco yet for me.

Kind of boderline. Collectable for sure. Looks like it might be a decent user.

Paid the same for a Hinderer XM-24Skinny, but the Skinny was predictable after the ZT560.

I googled the custom Paysan and it went for $1500 (used).

Guess we'll just wait and see.

Last edited:
I mean I want one. But $500 is a no-go for me.

I don’t blame Spyderco for their price increases (they can do whatever they want) but it is a bummer because it is starting to price me out of the brand. Which sucks because I love a good Spyderco.

Are you seriously implying that in the jungle you'd be able to tell the difference in sharpening S35VN at 59rc rather than say 60 or 61?

Lol. You absolutely are not going to be able to feel the difference in 1-2 points of hardness on sharpening stone. I have some s90v blanks that are 63rc and some that are 59, two different batches. You can't tell a difference between them on a stone, and that's 4 points. The wear resistance of the steel makes WAY more of a difference in sharpening than the hardness.

Your whole premise makes no sense in reality. And you can put a fine edge on it, just like any other knife. My maxamet manix whittles free hanging hair with ease when I'm done with it. Being able to "put a fine edge" on is not a selling point, it's just what a knife is supposed to do.

My dislike of CRKs blades in use come from years of actual use. A lot of people will say it's ok because of what the steel is supposed to be - or should be. In truth they most likely don't use the knife for anything more difficult than cutting strings, opening letters and cutting apples. Then they conclude that it performs great! Of course it does if that's all you're doing.

It performs about as well as the 8cr on my tenacious. The 154cm on the first manix I bought many years ago greatly outperforms it. It's not a knife I like to use, because it just isn't great in use. It becomes butter knife blunt really quickly. Maybe one day CRK will either change their HT process or switch steels, but I doubt it.

Edit: I'm sure there are people out there that actually use their CRKs and enjoy the way the steel performs. I'm just not one of them.

I'd like to say something regarding your dislike for CRK's S35VN. I have done countless tests of different steels from production folders, the last was between the following:

Benchmades M390
Cold Steels CTS-XHP
Spyderco S30V
Spyderco M4
CRK S35

Just real world cutting tests on materials i cut while renovating houses which is what i do a lot. Plastics, vinyl flooring, double thickness cardboard, jarrah, drywall, carpets etc. Same amount of cuts, same speed, same pressure - well as much as humanly possible to repeat. You know what? you would be dam hard pressed to know which steel was what if they were all unmarked. All had a very noticeable drop-off in the edge down to a decent working edge. The Vinyl flooring in particular knocked the smile straight off every single one of those steels. Now, they aren't S90V or Maxamet, but i honestly think you might be slightly over-egging the pudding here a little bit. I would not say the CRK did any worse than Spydies S30V or the XHP, hell it was even not that far behind the M390. A lot of the steel talk is seriously over-hyped, as if M390 and 20CV and the like come out of tests un-touched popping hairs even after hard cutting :rolleyes: 2 cuts into the vinyl flooring sheets and the M390 refuses to shave arm hair.
Unless you're using something like S90, Maxamet or others of similar composition, the average user will be happy with any of the good mainstream steels. But, everyone's usage is different, sounds to me like you might be doing cutting tasks outside of the general user base, which im curious to know about since i cut a very wide variety of things on a constant basis as listed above. What kind of cutting do you do?

The impending CRK Insingo price increases (actually price increases all across the board) may make this model more attractive to those who have a big penchant for sheepfoot shaped blades in that 500 price bracket. Just saying!

The S90V blade steel with Spyderco's HT protocol and blade geometry ought to run circles around the S35VN Insingo if the knives are purely purchased to be used for tasks as presented above.

A lot of the steel talk is seriously over-hyped, as if M390 and 20CV and the like come out of tests un-touched popping hairs even after hard cutting :rolleyes: 2 cuts into the vinyl flooring sheets and the M390 refuses to shave arm hair.
I agree up to a point. For most of us S30V and anything better are more than good enough. I happen to like something with more edge retention. I absolutely don't need it, but I like it. ZDP is a favorite for me. I'm enjoying playing with Maxamet. I don't need either.

Interesting comment about vinyl flooring. I may use this to start some edge retention tests. Trying to learn what "sharp" is and isn't in real world usage.

We have got to be getting close to these dropping by now.

Hopefully we'll see them by the end of the month, or early July!!!

My dealer just got the SKU/Model information on their ordering site, so we should be getting close!

I have been able to tell the difference when cutting cardboard with Spyderco S35vn and S90v, the S90v will still shave arm hair after more cuts when compared to the S35vn. I really like the looks of this knife, but I think $500+ is too much. I am also one to complain about the clip. I feel the clip on a knife in that price range should not look the same as the one on a knife 1/5 the cost.

I placed a preorder through Spyderco. The rep on the phone told me about a month wait. I was on the fence at first, but the more pictures I saw the more I liked it.

Sadly, Seems the Paysan will not make it out this year.

Also, I agree that $520 is still a little high for this Paysan production run. You can basically pick-up a Curtiss F3 Large for an extra $150. That is just an example, I don’t own an F3, was just looking at some given the price point of this Paysan. Heck, the XM-18 3.5” with CPM-20CV (M390 equivalent) is $95 cheaper. Or even a 940-1.

People will say that it’s an Integral so that’s why it costs those $$$. That could be justified 5-8 years ago, but with CNC machine technology of today there is no reason for these prices in all honesty. At $450 the Large Sebenza 21 with an Insingo Blade is $70 cheaper than the Paysan. Yes, the Sebie has S35VN and the Paysan S90V, both great steals with the S90V a little better, but tolerances and finish of the Sebenza 21 will beat out this Paysan all day. Plus, you won’t get scolded for taking the Sebenza apart :p

People will flock to buy this and I don’t blame them one bit, this Paysan is a super attractive knife and checks off a lot of boxes for me and I really do want one. But Spyderco priced this one a little weird to me, it just does not scream $500+ to me.
$350 out of China and $400-450 out of Golden with a takedown tool, cloth, and special box with a certification of inspection from someone before packing.

But my gut is telling me Spyderco is testing the waters with this Price point seeing how it just breaks the $500 mark....Time will tell....

I will wait for next years big sale to pick up a Paysan closer to the $400 mark myself.
Or on the secondary market.

Paysan is in the hands of the maker!

Pics Here via Peter's IG: LINK

Hopefully it won't be long now!!!

Paysan is in the hands of the maker!

Pics Here via Peter's IG: LINK

Hopefully it won't be long now!!!

It’s hard to say for sure, but the blade finish looks like a polished stonewash, similar to the Slysz Bowie. I was expecting a mirror polish from one of the old catalog pics. Either way, it looks good.

Any chance they thought better of the off-the-shelf spoon clip?

It’s hard to say for sure, but the blade finish looks like a polished stonewash, similar to the Slysz Bowie. I was expecting a mirror polish from one of the old catalog pics. Either way, it looks good.

Any chance they thought better of the off-the-shelf spoon clip?

He chimed in on this exact subject in an earlier post about it. I'll have to wait until I get it in my hand to tell, but here's what he said...

peterrassenti
@kfzofa clip is great on it. Springy and good hold.

Back