NEW Railsplitter Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modoc ED

Gold Member
This Northwoods Railsplitter Moose with Ebony scales and Swedged Clip and Swedged Spear blades arrived in the mail today. The blade steel is 1095 and the blades are very sharp out of the box. The polished, fluted/ringed, pinched bolsters are nickel silver as are the liners. The knife is made by Queen Cutlery. Closed it is 3 5/8" long with both blades being 2 1/2" long. Each blade has a long pull and the pull of each blade is a 6 to 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 with very good snap. The fit and finish is quite good. The ebony scales are very dark and rich. Although not numbered, this knife is one of twenty-five pieces made.

northwoodsrailsplitterm.jpg

Northwoods claims a Schatt & Morgan finish on this line of knives and I think this comparison photo of this knife and the 2010 Blade Forum Knife illustrates the claim -- enhanced polishing.

Note how similar this knife is to the 2010 Blade Forums Knife.

Last edited:
SWWEEET! You just can't beat a good Railsplitter and that's a real nice one.

I've been eyeballing that one for some time now myself but never did take the plunge.

There was an Ivory one just like it for a while there but I haven't seen it for sale lately.

Very nice knife there, Ed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That railsplitter is pure burley handsomeness.
Good score!

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I've seen one of these knives with the ivory handles. Passed on it about two months ago but couldn't pass up this one with the ebony handles.

SWWEEET! You just can't beat a good Railsplitter and that's a real nice one.

I've been eyeballing that one for some time now myself but never did take the plunge.

There was an Ivory one just like it for a while there but I haven't seen it for sale lately.

Very nice knife there, Ed. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I am shocked that you might like that pattern.:confused:

:p:D

I don't know why but until this afternoon I hadn't thought to look to see if the shield was pinned and sure enough it is pinned.

what exactly defines a railsplitter? just happened upon that term in a couple posts, this being the most recent. thanks!

what exactly defines a railsplitter? just happened upon that term in a couple posts, this being the most recent. thanks!

A "railsplitter" is otherwise known as a "surveyor" pattern which is essentially a canoe style frame with a swell in the center.
(The swell can be on either side of the frame and the elongated bolster is not required.)

A "railsplitter" is otherwise known as a "surveyor" pattern which is essentially a canoe style frame with a swell in the center.
(The swell can be on either side of the frame and the elongated bolster is not required.)

Thanks for stepping in and providing us with that definition Elliott. Well stated.

Thanks for stepping in and providing us with that definition Elliott. Well stated.

You're welcome...but don't thank me too fast, Ed...You see, your "Moose" is actually a "Bull-Head". (Per page 190 of LG-IV)

(In other words, a derivative of the cattle pattern in "equal-end, double end" configuration. Live and learn. ;))

But I promise not to tell...

:p

I don't doubt you or LG one bit and know that many Railsplitters are produced in a Stockman blade configuration. "I've changed my mind. See my edit.

Northwoods describes this knife as a Railsplitter Moose so I'm using their description for it.

Appreciate the lesson. I've got a line on a LG IV and hope to have it for my X-Mas present this year.

EDIT: Nope! After some digging I have to say the equal length Clip and Spear blades are of the Moose. To my mind the person who commisioned the knife and the maker of the knife were/are correct in their naming this knife a Railsplitter Moose.

Even Levin in this link calls the blades Moose.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692019&highlight=moose

Last edited:
These Railsplitter-Moose knives in this configuration were the brain-child of my youngest son and ardent knife collector, Sketch32. I approached Dave Shirley, at that time owner of Northwoods Knives. We had been buying his knives for some time and enjoyed the variety and good quality. Dave was a board member at Queen and agreed to a SFO to make these knives for me. Our original conversation was in 2008 but it wasn’t until March 2009 that we actually had the knives in our hands. We originally ordered 100 knives in Stag, Ebony and Ivory. We eventually received 43 Stag, 25 Ebony, and 4 each of Elephant Ivory and Mastadon Ivory. The Ivory knives went to me and my knife collector relatives. Dave Shirley has subsequetly sold the Northwoods and Scagel names to Derrick Bohn.

Last edited:
Thanks for the history lesson Don. I slipped the knife in my pocket this morning and intend carrying it at least through the New Year. Thank your son for his inspiration.

Dang -- just when I was unable to think of any design improvements I would have asked for on the 2010 forum knife (i really dig this one)...I had to see those pinched bolsters! Very nice! :)

Hi Ed -

Beautiful!

I had never handled a moose pattern slippie until I received my 2010 BF Traditional.

Having had mine for a few weeks, I can say that it is a very useful knife - with a large enough handle to get a firm grip on it, and large blades for whatever you might want to cut with it.

I like the pinched bolsters on your new moose, and it does compliment the 2010 knife very nicely - thanks for the pictures!

best regards -

mqqn

By the way the bolsters on the Railsplitter/Moose are fluted, slanted AND pinched.

I have not received my 2010 Forum knife. When the Forum Police read this would you kindly check into that for me?

BDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back