1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Ratweiler Post Beatdown Impressions

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Snakebreaker, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    So I took the new 'weiler out with with me for a day in the woods for a test drive. I've had my Chopweiler for quite awhile now and I've always wondered how the two compared. I've already posted pics of my new Ratweiler in the other Ratweiler thread below this one.

As soon as I got it out of the package......my first thought was "wow.....this is huge". (yeah I know.......that's what she said.). It just seemed much bigger than I expected. I grabbed my Chopweiler to compare it to. The Ratweiler is actually about 1/4 inch longer......but other than that......they are the same size. The Ratweiler just seems really large. No complaints though!

The contoured scales feel amazing. They fit my hand absolutely perfect. I do have larger hands however and I do believe someone with smaller hands my not like it as much.

I was concerned that the contouring would lock it into your hand and not be able to slide a little during a chop but that's not the case at all. It feels perfect to me regardless if your choking up for fine work......holding in a standard position or chopping. All grip positions flow beautifully without any hotspots.

Did I mention it seems really big yet? Even after spending the day with it......looking at it now......it looks big.

As others have commented on.......unlike other Rats.......they really thinned this down behind the edge. I LOVE THAT!! It bites really, really deep. Even with that thick tanker coating it bites really deep. I imagine once it wears off or its stripped, it will bite even deeper. Very impressed with how well it chops and how deep it sinks into the wood.

Honestly......my first 6 inch thick tree limb I sunk it into, I thought "wow.....this is soft wood". Not so. I tried numerous species of trees and the Ratweiler sunk in extremely well.

I took the Chopweiler along with me to do direct comparisons and I can definitely say it chops every bit as well if not even better than the Chopweiler. I didn't expect that and was actually rooting for the Chopweiler but the new Ratweiler is really on the mark.

I bought the 1/4 version. With the new contoured handles and thinned down behind the edge.......the new Ratweiler seems to be an awesome blade!

Here she sits with the jeep after a long day of hard use!

[​IMG]

2. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Just 10 hours ago she was all brand spanking new without a blemish on her.......

[​IMG]

3. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Good review, man.
    And it looks pretty badazz sittin' on the Jeep too. Freakin Ratweiler has such great lines and curves; looks like it's moving even when it's sleeping, lol. :thumbup:

4. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks brother!! I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be.

5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts bud. I've always wanted a chopweiler for comparison. I'm glad to know that the ratweiler can hang with it.

Sweet ride, too :)

6. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Blades and jeeps dogg........that's what I'm talking about! ;-)

7. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Dyed the scales. Looks much better now I think........

[​IMG]

8. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Sweet! Just RIT dye?

9. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Yep. The pic doesn't look as good as it does in person. Its black RIT dye. I've black dyed my Ratweiler and ASH1. They look great and the dye has held up just fine on my ASH with plenty of use. I will post pics here soon under natural lighting to show it better.