New Reate District 9 Plus Clip Point

RamZar

Gold Member
The new Reate District 9 Plus Clip Point are in stock at BladeHQ in regular and dark stonewashed. They're an ounce lighter than previous District 9 models due to milling both on the exterior and interior. However, the price has shot up from $200 to a whopping $269!

11371214_958207384253576_342607852_n.jpg

Last edited:
The price creep on these imported knives is pricing them out of my market. I'll pay over $200 for a knife but it has to be special. There are too many well made options above $200. It might be time to find the next Reate.

Both Reate and Kizer have increased in price by 50% over the last two generations with only modest improvements. Last I checked inflation (and my raises) has been way less than that. What gives?

Dalibor knives are imports from Croatia that cost $1,500+, Andre De Villiers knives are imported from South Africa for $450+, Custom Knife Factory is made in China and assembled in Russia range from $250+! And Reates $200+ from China, with all Titanium hardware, a case with spare parts when you recieve your knife. THATS a steal! Plus, David Deng of Reate knives he's a real gentlemen and his staff are courteous and professional. I contacted and dealt with them before and will do so again. Great company!

It makes no sense to justify the price of a knife based on overpriced competition. By that logic, any knife becomes a bargain against a Shiro and we all know it isn't true. Compare a $250 Reate against a $250 ZT or Spyderco and the value/quality advantage disappears. They're essentially knives of equal quality but one comes with accessible support and warranty service. This isn't about who's a nice guy, it's about about knives that lack local support need to offer a cost advantage against domestic competition.

I have 5 Reates and 20 Kizers, most purchased because they were such a good deal. I will continue to buy Reates and Kizers, but in the future they'll need to beat out other knives on an equal cost standpoint. That will cause fewer of these knives to join my collection. There are too many fine knives out there screaming "BUY ME"!

This isn't about who's a nice guy, it's about knives that lack local support need to offer a cost advantage against domestic competition.
I also think that if Chinese-based companies are going to be taken seriously here, they'll eventually need to establish domestic support no matter what. U.S. customers aren't going to put up indefinitely with having to send their knives offshore for service. I just bought my third Kizer but at the prices they're beginning to hit and their lack of local support, it may very well be my last. And Reate isn't even on my radar yet. Reate knives are just too darn big for me to EDC. Maybe one day they'll make a knife that fits me. I just hope it doesn't take them as long as it took ZT to get around to it and that they'll have local support by then.

Last edited:
It makes no sense to justify the price of a knife based on overpriced competition. By that logic, any knife becomes a bargain against a Shiro and we all know it isn't true. Compare a $250 Reate against a $250 ZT or Spyderco and the value/quality advantage disappears. They're essentially knives of equal quality but one comes with accessible support and warranty service. This isn't about who's a nice guy, it's about about knives that lack local support need to offer a cost advantage against domestic competition.

I have 5 Reates and 20 Kizers, most purchased because they were such a good deal. I will continue to buy Reates and Kizers, but in the future they'll need to beat out other knives on an equal cost standpoint. That will cause fewer of these knives to join my collection. There are too many fine knives out there screaming "BUY ME"!

Very well said. Having owned a Horizon A, B, C I'd say their value for what you were getting was fantastic. Now? Not so much. IMO of course. This doesn't speak any less of the company as I do wish them a very bright future but I've only kept my Horizon A and plan to keep it that way with Reate for a while unless they start hitting those price points again.

I will continue to buy Reates and Kizers, but in the future they'll need to beat out other knives on an equal cost standpoint . . .
. . . or in my case, feature collaborations with designers whose work I'm interested in acquiring. That's certainly the case with the Laconico Gemini I just purchased. For the amount I paid for it though, I could have bought a ZT. As much as I like Kizers, I don't think they're in ZT's category quite yet.

Back