New scales, feedback and advice wanted

Well instead of having someone make scales for my izula I decided to make my own and get started with tools to have a new hobby. I have a craftsman 10" drill press and also got a 2x42 craftsman sander. Keep in mind this is the first woodworking project I have ever undertaken so watched a lot of YouTube and took the plunge. I used cocobolo scales and brass pin/tube from woodcraft, and loctite epoxy. Tried to take my time and shaped it similar to my brkt mini Canadian. Still have to do the finish sanding on the metal but have the scales with rubbed on bees wax for now. Any and all feedback is great,y appreciated. I also grabbed some really old kitchen knives and took the sander for a spin with knife grinds and so far have really steady outcomes minus the tip..... Got a good convex grind and also a good scandi ish grind.
IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

Also wondering if there is anyone in the Arizona area that maybe I could bring some beer over and learn a few tips from....

Last edited:
bitchin! ive been up to some esee stuff too. its pretty fun. i bet your addicted now...

It looks very good for a first project. When working with wood, finishing can often be the trickiest part. As far as the sharpening goes, you have to raise the handle of the knife and tilt back slightly as you approach the tip to keep the bevel even. It's just like sharpening by hand. If you don't follow the curve of the blade the tip gets a very steep grind. Hope that makes sense.

I also like the looks of the Izula better with scales.

Looks great!! Nice job....how high are you on grits?

Try this....hand sand with 320...apply Danish oil......then go to 600 grit.....another hit of Danish oil.......you will like!!

Lookin' very good.

I you prefer, you could put a higher finish on the coco. Using 3M finishing paper, you should be able to see an increased polish on cocobolo up to about 4000-grit. Then just use a light coat of oil and you're done. Your scales are going to darken with use and exposure.

Also, sand the blade until it's perfect before you attach the scales. It's easier, and it's the only way to get at the spot in front of the scales.

I have never had luck putting a finish on cocobolo , too oily....

Those looks fantastic ! I love it :)

Tostig

Dannyp, I like your avitar. Tool rocks

Wow thats your first handle? Looks great.

I'm gonna try my hand at making new scales for my Emerson when the g-10 ships from knifekits, everyone will have a great laugh from that...

One thing I learned today and still recovered from. I went back to the belt to do some more detail/profile work in rounding the edges more and next time when I think to myself I have a few more passes on the handle I will stop ahead of time and go to the hand sanding in a vice... As it is I went up to 2000 grit with mineral oil and now letting it soak before buffing with bees was. Got the patina done also. I will update pics. The worst part is trying to match up both sides when doing the details. Just had to go super slow. I still seem to have ridges where he pins are... But luckily this worked out exactly in between where my fingers are. Was able to feel them but just barely able to see them once it is polished. Also another trick I learned was when trying to compare the sides grain pattern was throwing my eyes off so took it to a dark corner and was able to see the profile much better.

Back