New Seal Pup elite

I just purchased the Seal Pup Elite and I am impressed with the quality of this knife. It is light, very well balanced, and has a wonderfully ergonomic handle. But... I hate the sheath! It is the nylon sheath and the strap which secures the handle makes putting the knife back in the sheath very cumbersome (it catches on the handle guard). Also, the top of the sheath rides too high up causing it to dig into my side. The sheath is nothing like the very functional leather sheath I got with my Trident 2.0. I am going to have to look around for a leather sheath for the pup.

got mine today too. i like that the sheath rides high. but the velcro gives away your position. not cool.

Yes, it is loud. Maybe I can just cut that velcro part off. It already has a button, don't know why I would need both. It was not a smart move to sew the strap onto the front of the sheath creating a ridge where the knife needs to slide to go into the slot. Maybe I can pick apart the stitching and remove the entire strap.

Some like the Kydex sheath over the nylon sheath. Both seem to have different applications. Longer term woods use favors the nylon sheath as you can tuck a SAK in the pouch pocket. For general woods carry on day hikes, the kydex sheath is thinner and less noticeable.

Okay, I fixed the sheath. I carefully cut away the stitching that holds the nylon strap. The knife can now be easily drawn and re-sheathed with one hand. Happily, the sheath is fine without the strap. The knife fits in with enough friction so that it stays put. I tested it by holding the sheathed knife upside down and shaking it hard, the knife stays put. I also got the sheath to ride comfortably 1" lower by sliding my belt through the thick double walled nylon closer to the top rather than using the nylon webbing on the very back. Guess I won't be needing a new sheath after all.

Unfortunately, my dogs ate my digital camera. I will draw a sketch and scan it in and post it tomorrow.

Back