New Sewing Machine (edited for pictures)

Cool. Those sheaths do have a somewhat "Longesque" look to them what with the wraparond stitching on the tip.:thumbup:

Tons of fun aint it. I remember when I first got mine and stitched a belt in about 10 minutes I was so happy.

Kind of wish mine was brown like the cobras, ahh well.

Dont forget to OIL IT after every use. Have fun.

Sewing plywood is sorta a stunt. I remember the first time I shot my recurve. The arrow sailed into an abandoned building I expected it to bounce off, but it passed right through a window hole covered in 3/4" plywood. A truly excellent archery target that will stop the most powerful arrow is made of a bag with some fabric in it. Fabric is tougher than one would think. Of course a lot of that is that the target absorbs the arrows energy, but trust me, if you sew frabic you come to respect what it will do to a needle.

Anyway, Techsew has a quality product. The devil is in the details. What makes a good machine is stuff you find out after you bought your first wrong one. That is the dilemma. Little details of feet, compositions of the package of included parts make a huge difference. If the machine is not specifically set up for the exact type of work you intend, then there is a chance they goofed something. The Techsew machine I bought was at one time sold for leather work, and a version of it still is. It is well made, but it marks the leather like crazy. So my problem is their having goofed this segment once, they now have a different machine like the Cobra 4, and my suspicion is that it is probably just fine. But I can't spend another 3 K finding out. If I was in the states, I would get a Cobra. But living in Canada, some risks are worth it.

I have been wondering whether any of these guys is related. Does anyone know whether one is the NA importer, and the rest are just reping machines in their local markets?

You could call and ask Steve. If I remember correctly Neel from neels saddlery imported the machines for his sale and for that of cowboy. Cowboy (Bob Kovar) branded them as such. Steve imported his own machines. Not sure about techsew. With these guys the biggest part is how well they go thru the machine after they get it and set it up to sew leather.

The feet they offer dont mar the leather that I have scene. You may get the little tale tale dents from the pressure but they dont have any teeth on them to dig in. Ive been very happy with my machine from Neel's and Ive had it for a couple of years now. Took a couple of months to get comfortable with it as it was my first real sewing machine.

Greetings,
What thread number and needle are you guys running for stitching leather? I have a good feeling about the Cobra 4 premium which is on sale.

Back