- New Sharpening System!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I can't believe that after the hundreds and hundreds of knives I have sharpened....that I was able to find a setup that actually made it easier AND faster to get consistent sharpening on any knife I throw at it.

It's not much to look at...but dang does it work well.

Pic:

Sharpening0507-04.jpg

If you've got the room (about 2 feet of countertop space) and the $$$ (around $155 with shipping)....then I guarantee you won't be disappointed !!!

The wheel on the right will actually grind a small microbevel on the knife and the wheel on the left strops it to a scary-sharp edge.

Here's the details:

I got the buffer from Grizzly for $79 + s/h

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Buffer-w-5-8-Arbor/H4380

h4380.jpg

And the 10" Magnum Sharpening Wheel kit from Mike at SharpeningWheels.com for $55 + s/h

http://www.sharpeningwheels.com/products.html

Product_kit.jpg

It might be possible that since I've sharpened so many blades on wheels already...the transition was an easy one for me. But, either way, it is crazy-easy to sharpen on this thing.

That's all you need....just the buffer and the kit....nothing else to buy. Just put the wheels on it, follow the first-time-setup instructions and you are ready to go.

:thumbup:

If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for looking!!

Dan

Dang....every time I use this thing I get a BIG GRIN...

:D :D :D :D

Dan

Got this setup for xmas.. practiced on an old gerber knife I had laying around that I was never able to sharpen before.. check the edge out on this thing!

DSC01318.jpg

I sharpened all of my knives in about 30 minutes, everything from my sebenza to my spyderco military. Its fast, its easy, and its effective.

:thumbup:

I already have the grinder so for $55 these wheels look like the ticket

trial and error...and lots of practice.

Right now, I am only using the buffer side (not the grinding wheel side). The grinding wheel seems to work best for small knives. The buffer is best for power-stropping.

I set the angle on my flat platen with a 220 grit belt and then go to the wheel for stropping.

Dan

***Kind of old thread resurection***

Dan,

Are you using the top of the wheels like richard j or are you using the bottom of the wheel?

Thanks,

Doug

I stand in front of the machine and look straight down over the knife, edge-down, held vertically. That way I can see where it is sharpening.

The wheel is spinning toward me from the top.

Dan

I set this up today, took a knife that would not cut a grape to shaving sharp in about 2 minutes.

Sweet

and I am terrible at sharpening things

It's terribly easy to use, isn't it?

Best part is the easy maintaining you can do via power-stropping.

Dan

On the 10" Magnum setup, which thickness of wheel do you recommend, the 1" or the 3/4"?

Richard J has been advertising these forever--I took the plunge and bought one last summer--it has sharpened 100's of knives and it's still going strong! It's stupid easy to use it, isn't it? :D

I also stand in front--I know Richard sharpens using the top of the wheels.

If I could do it over again, I'd get a buffer that rotated a bit slower. This one HAULS and is probably not great for first-time sharpeners. I don't get any burn-up on it, but I guarantee if you held your knife still and just *thought* about counting to three you'd start burning up the edge on the "stone" side.

So far, so good for me.

I use this thing every day. :thumbup:

Dan

Back