New Sheath Designs Coming Soon

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
Hey all, I'm getting some new material soon and will be working on a few new designs for sheaths for the Becker Knives, both Kydex and Leather. My "staple" design is always available, the M1, leather with a slot for a firesteel. This was a design that I created out of the desire for a "must have with me in the woods" setup. I am always up for some input from fellow Beckerites in what they would or wouldn't want in a sheath. Right now, I am working on a Kydex sheath that rides the SOB (small of the back), with a firesteel loop, and a snap on case for an AST (altoids survival tin) or a stone or whatever you want to put in it.

So, what features would you, the Becker Elite, like to see in a sheath?
Thanks to all. Moose.

moose, it sounds great. i like the layout as you have described it. i'd like to see a small pouch for a folding knife in addition to the stuff you've listed. as great as a BK-2 is, sometimes something smaller is of use for delicate work. and i love the "AST" idea. and, personally, i prefer "Beckerhead"! :D

Horizontal Carry options are great.. also a cutaway in the sheath to allow for quick cordage cuts with out having to withdraw the blade from the sheath..Like on the old Sog Seal pup sheaths..That was a handy feature.

Great ideas all, I will definetly incorporate them in my designs. My sheaths, be they kydex or leather, never touches the edge, so no dulling. For the horizontal, vertical and inverted carry, where on the body or gear would you carry, SOB, strong side right/left, on a pack strap inverted, on your leg, bicep, the area of carry may change the mounting method and material. The cut out for cordage cuts has been requested by another of my customers, so, definetly. Maybe not on all models, but as a feature on most. He also asked for a guide so all you gotta do is loop and pull while its on your belt (he carries horizontal crossdraw). Thanks for all the insight, and KEEP IT COMING!! My creativity seems to be on hold at the moment (lol), plus, since I work with Beckers almost exclusively, Beckerheads are who I need to be getting the ideas from. Thanks to all. Moose.

If you do horizontal carry for the SOB, have two straps (similar to leather horizontal sheaths), so you can attach it on either side of your belt loop in the center. I think Molle locks could work for that purpose.

If you do horizontal carry for the SOB, have two straps (similar to leather horizontal sheaths), so you can attach it on either side of your belt loop in the center. I think Molle locks could work for that purpose.

I am getting is some thinner kydex that I will be making loops out of, its some of the .6 and I even found some .2. I have been working on a hybrid, combining a kydex form fit liner with some nice leather. My usual kydex, .9 is pretty damn thick and I can't use it for that. I have made 2 kydex sheaths for hori carry, one with a single loop for crossdraw (suprisingly comfy) and a 2 loop for SOB. I don't like SOB or Scout carry, it iterferes with my pack and a pain when I put my feet in the water and lay back, but it is a very valid method of carry, just not for me. Do you think that thin loops like a leather sheath would be good, or thicker preformed belt loops like we usually see? I don't know how well the thin stuff will hold up for acutal loops, but I know some folks that coud test for me. Thanks to all. Moose.

I am getting is some thinner kydex that I will be making loops out of, its some of the .6 and I even found some .2. I have been working on a hybrid, combining a kydex form fit liner with some nice leather. My usual kydex, .9 is pretty damn thick and I can't use it for that. I have made 2 kydex sheaths for hori carry, one with a single loop for crossdraw (suprisingly comfy) and a 2 loop for SOB. I don't like SOB or Scout carry, it iterferes with my pack and a pain when I put my feet in the water and lay back, but it is a very valid method of carry, just not for me. Do you think that thin loops like a leather sheath would be good, or thicker preformed belt loops like we usually see? I don't know how well the thin stuff will hold up for acutal loops, but I know some folks that coud test for me. Thanks to all. Moose.

I think anything you can do to make it secure, yet easy-to-detach would be excellent. Maybe a material other than kydex for the straps? I have the same problems with SOB carry vs. my pack, but sometimes if I'm just out for the day I will carry SOB because it's out of the way. Otherwise, I usually carry crossdraw, and I think the strap mounting works well for both crossdraw and SOB carry. The two straps keep it in place on either side of a single belt loop.

Sorry guys forn the delay, I seemed to have broken my hand and that makes things a little more difficult. Thanks to all. Moose

What I would like to see.... a Sheath that has a Kydex body, with the top portion made from Cordura. A design very similar to the Cold Steel SRK knife sheath. It has a button snap and velcro and allows you to open up the loop and put it on a belt with out undoing your belt...

I could live with leather but like Cordura...:)

I have a few pics of my current prototype (nothing fancy and the stitching got off because I was in a hurry), I have been remiss in taking pics of my work in leather. I have made this same sheath for a BK2, BK7, BK9, and the TacTool. I am working on some now that I will be posting quite a few shots of. My primary reason for not taking pics is that I never had a good camera, and I never really thought I was going to be posting on a forum. Moose

100_1156.jpg

100_1144.jpg

100_1198.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

Photography is my side business:

www.rubenzamora.com & www.valleysportspics.com

If you want I can take pics for you ;) I have a BK 7, BK 2 and Necker so ;) you can send me sheaths for those and I'll gladly give you pics to use for advertising, forums etc. :) and I have a Canon 1D Mark IV camera (look up price and you'll see its a good cam :) )

I will have to do that, got to get some made soon. Going backcountry this weekend, so, no new sheaths, but I will have some next week. Moose

Back