New Sifu fails on day 3!!!!!!!!

After reading about the Sifu for almost a year on the forum, I finally bought one. A black T coated blade. Today the lock failed while I was adjusting the lateral play out of the blade. My guess is the spring or springs broke inside. It opens and closes without using the lock release. Of course the knife came with no docmentation when I bought it. Phone number, contacts, address of the company nothing. So I went to their web site. But of course!!! Its still under reconstruction. Has been for a long time.

I used google and found an old phone number of 208-265-8858 . Anyone know if thats still correct.? Anyone have a contact there to talk to? What a downer. This after I spent hours reprofiling the blade by hand.
It was razor sharp from the factory, but would not cut anything. Just glided across the top of material unless you but some real pressure on the blade. I thinned it down and now it cuts great. Also the blade is not centered and it rubs on one side of the liner. Did I mention one screw securing the G-10 to the liners is stripped also?

Other than that a great knife......:-o(
What were those concerns about QC? I would be wanting a new spring supplier. Seems like I read this before. But hey, maybe its something else altogether.

Anyone want to guess before the fact what caused this problem? I read something like it on the forum once before but cant find the post right now. Seems like it was the spring.

I really like this knife, hope it doesnt take forever to fix it. If anyone has any contact info E-mail me directly also, at sears@execpc.com as well as posting here if you would. I want to get this in the mail tomorrow. Thanks-mike

Mike, I was looking for their phone #, too and got the same number you have. I have a similar complaint with Rekat. I just got a D2 Carnivore into my shop and it had no manufacturer or warranty information with the knife. I asked with my distributor and they haven't gotten back to me yet, so I thought I would call Rekat direct. What's going on over there? Don't they warranty their stuff?
Barry Haugen

This is strange, I have four REKATS and never had any problems with them. I do know from past threads that REKAT will come through for you guys. They had a Quality Control problem at one time, but by all reports it was corrected. Have you tried E-Mailing REKAT from here? Let us know how things turn out.

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 12-06-2000).]

Hi Mike990,

I have played with several REKATs over the past few years. They are solid and reliable. I still own and them even though I began buying custom folders last year.
smile.gif

Define how you were trying to adjust the lateral play? If you took the knife apart and lost the very small spring on the end of the switch/lever that would explain why the knife opens and closes freely. Outside diamter of the spring is about 1/16"/2mm and its about 5/8" long.

I generally clean up the threads and put some blue Loctite on the screw and tighten it down to the point it binds the blade too much and then I back it off 1/8 turn.

It could be possible the spring inside did break, but I hadn't heard of it happening before. The old style external levers REKATs use to be like a safety clip and I have heard of those breaking.

IMHO, my REKAT folders are my strongest locking production folders period. Its probably even stronger than the custom folders I own.....LOL.
smile.gif

1(208)265-8858 <-- that is the number I have in my address book.

Regardless of out come let us know what happens. (oops: typos....
tongue.gif
)

------------------
Ray 'md2020'

ATKI member #A001042

[This message has been edited by maddog2020 (edited 12-06-2000).]

Call Bob at the above number - he should be able to square you away.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

To adjust lateral play I only tightened the blade pivot screw. The knife did not fail from the open position. It would have stayed locked. But once I unlocked, it would no longer lock. Hence if your knife is locked, its staying locked even if the spring breaks.
Christina at rekat thought the spring probably broke or kinked somehow.

When I called rekat they were most helpful and will take care of everything and send it back asap. I never had any doubt. While they dont publish their warranty, I new by word of mouth and this forum that they were upstanding and wanted things right and would be most helpful.

They should however send you a cheap printed sheet with the knife telling you about the company and give contact numbers and addresses. Their web site could be as simple as a one page company history, and contact info. That would help also. But I knew I could get the scoop here if all else failed.
-mike

I'm glad to hear that your problem is being resolved to your satisfaction... please keep us updated.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

I just wanted inform everyone that read my initial post that I just got my Sifu back from Rekat. The broken spring and every other issue I had with it were taken care of, at no charge, and turned around very quickly. My hat goes off to Rekat and Bob Brothers, for excellent customer service and communication with me.

For those who think everything should be perfect from the start......well maybe, but Mr. Murphy is always out there somewhere. If only I could get such service after I buy a new $25,000 dollar car and have problems.

-mike

I'm glad to hear that REKAT took care of your knife. I really didn't doubt that they would, but lately they seem to have had some QC problems with the first batch of Pikunis.
Every knife can't be perfect, the way a company handles problems is important. It sound like Bob Brothers took care of you. Merry Christmas.
smile.gif

REKAT has some of the best customer service I have EVER had the pleasure of needing.THANKS John Erickson P.S. They WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU GUARANTEED.......

Back