How To New Small Sebenza 21... To me! Sharpening Questions

Attention all sharpener masters... I need your help.
I am a beginner novice at best, I have a Wicked Edge and I kinda know how to use it.
I have recently acquired a used Small Sebbie, the previous owner sharpened the edge to 18 DPS. I understand that going from 20 to 18 will increase the edge thickness, and from looking at his work he was also a novice at best =)
- Pressure was inconsistent
- Edges were inconsistent
- Angle was slightly inconsistent

I fixed it very very slowly and to the best of my ability and here is what I have and have done:
- Even the angle very very slowly with some 600
- Matched both sides to a true 18 DPS, using micro adjust and angle cube
- The sweet spot was attained and the blade was perpendicular to the fixture.

Here are the remaining issues:
- The edge from the last inch to the tip is still slightly thicker than the rest of the blade
- The edge from the last inch to the tip still have micro scuffing after a 5 micron strop
- The edge from the choil to about an inch into the blade still have micro scuffing after a 5 micron strop

Here are my questions:
- The edge is pretty consistent after my rework from the choil to the last inch, edge thickness is 0.0455" the last inch or so thickens from 0.0455" and ends with 0.0770" I was to know if it is possible to have a consistent true 18 DPS and have the edge to remain at 0.0455" through... Or should I not mess with it and send it back to the pros. lead time is 1 month =(
- If this is fixed I believe that should also take care of the micro scuffing.
- Another minor thing... Both Slabs dates dont match drives me nuts. B-17 and C-17

Closing comment... This is going to be a working knife, no going to baby it or treasure it, I have no problem using my tools I just don't want to "abuse" them =)

Thanks guys!

2iqbytf.jpg

s6r7zq.jpg

2yyea2r.jpg

29kxbv8.jpg

10yi3j4.jpg

First, you've done a great job! Congrats! It's a PITA to get those bevels perfect with any sharpening system. The angles get funny at the tip due to the geometry of the system & curvature of the blade. Try sharpening a BM 940, again PITA. IMO, I'd be proud of getting within +/- .025" & I'm a machinist. I do understand the annoyance of not getting it perfect, but to me as a user knife, it's so close to perfect...it's just great.:thumbsup: Good luck!

Are you referring to the width of the edge, from the shoulder to the apex ?
Keep in mind, what’s been taken off by changing the edge angle cannot be put back on. Unless you reprofiled the whole blade to match, which will take even more steel off, it’s best to use it as is and with each sharpening slowly even out the edge width.
I’m no expert by a long shot, what I’ve learned is that in order to keep the tip consistent with the rest of the blade, placement of the clamp toward the tip is critical as well as the depth of the blade in the clamp. I’ve found it’s best to keep a log of each knife to keep the angle the same each time you sharpen it. It will take a long time to even up the edge width with normal sharpening.
The different date stamps on the slabs are very common. I’ve got a couple that are a year apart.
The edge looks nice with what you done so far,

Looks like the edge bevel might have been more even if the blade had been clamped slightly closer to the tip. It still looks good to me though. If it’s sharp, I’d carry it and not worry about it.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I would have gotten it new... BUT it was a pretty good deal with all things consider and me adding about 2 hours of honing.

Yea... I am just too anal, I have the advance ruler... But is somewhat of a joke, it doesn't real line up perfectly every time and depending on how you read it, it gives you a slightly different measurement... Yea I will have to do little by little as I sharpen it.
Yup I figured that it would need to move slightly forward on my next go... We shall see... It will be like an adventure!
Now that I have my beater CRK, I need a few show pieces!

Oh yea I have a 940 and a 940-1, a quick glance at the geometry and I knew it was beyond my current skills... This is only technically my 5th knife on the WE.
Previous test knife turned out so good I wanted to try to "fix" this Sebenza
It's almost "perfect" sharpened ar 20.5 DPS even thru and thru, on a sheepy foot

zwkht5.jpg

You could try posting question on the Wicked Edge forum. There are some really helpfull people on it.

Also keep in mind that due to the 3d curved hollow grind, the thickness at the belly and the tip are broader than in the middle. At the same angle the bevel will never be even over the whole knife.

Back