"New" source for buying SAKs

geothorn

Banned
I've recently rediscovered my local Boy Scout store. They have a pretty wide selection of Swiss Army knives. The online Boy Scout store is located here.

Running a search under "Victorinox," the site listed the Sentry and the Victorinox Swiss Tool. Searching under "Swiss Army" I found Yeoman Swiss Army Knife, Swiss Army Ruby II Knife With Retractable Pen, Mechanic Swiss Army Knife, Classic Swiss Army Knife, Victorinox Swiss Tool.

Yes, most everything that the Boy Scout store carries has the Boy Scout insignia on it, the prices are probably higher than at other retailers, but the Boy Scout store seems to have the largest selection of on-hand Victorinox knives than most other retailers. If you're a Swiss Army collector wouldn't a Boy Scout series be a nice addition?

GeoThorn

Is the Yeoman shown on the website and what you saw ,the original Yeoman?Or was it the Explorer ?I've been trying to track down an original Yeoman for some time.

01252.jpg

Above is the image of the Yeoman from the Boy Scout web site. Here is the web site's description of the knife and its features:

"Yeoman Swiss Army Knife
Phillips screwdriver, magnifying glass, eyeglass screwdriver, ballpoint pen, toothpick, 2 1/2" blade, heavy duty scissors, bottle opener/screwdriver, wire stripper, key ring, tweezers, hook. 3 1/2" long when closed. WW01252 $46.25"

It doesn't look like my Explorer. ;)

I hope this helps,
GeoThorn

P.S. I see the combination cap lifter/can opener/screwdriver tool. That is a good indication that a Victorinox is an older version, correct?

Thanks for replying,I'll I have to check out my local Scout store.I don't think the combo tool is an indicator of age,I can't recall right off all the models that have a combo tool,but it's presence eliminates two seperate tools,and IMO makes a SAK more pleasant to handle,e.g. the Waiter,Compact,and Bantam spring to mind.BTW where's your Scout store?

The true Yeoman is now a discontinued model. The current "Yeoman" being sold with the Boy Scout logo is actually an Explorer. This isn't to say that your local Scout shop won't have the "old model" Yeoman still in stock.
The "old" Yeoman is a 3 layer model.
The "new" Boy Scout Yeoman (Explorer) is 4 layers.

Hope this helps.

Paul

If the thing was still in production,and available by the gazillions,I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.Now that they're OOP,they've become forbidden fruit,and I just gotta get one,or two,or three.... :)

I know exactly what you mean. I had always wanted a Scientist, but never got around to buying one. All of a sudden, POOF!...They're gone. Well, I've aquired a Scientist, and when I ran on to a Yeoman, I bought it for good measure. I'll probabaly rarely, if ever use it, but I have it anyway. :rolleyes:

Paul

PWork said:
The true Yeoman is now a discontinued model. The current "Yeoman" being sold with the Boy Scout logo is actually an Explorer. This isn't to say that your local Scout shop won't have the "old model" Yeoman still in stock.
The "old" Yeoman is a 3 layer model.
The "new" Boy Scout Yeoman (Explorer) is 4 layers.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Ack! Now you have me confused, PWork!

Here's what I thought was a Victorinox Explorer, at least it's the eighties version of an Explorer, I thought:

HoffritzSAK.jpg

My knife is missing the ballpoint pen, the mini screwdriver, the hook, and has both the cap lifter/screwdriver and the can opener/screwdriver. So...which is the actual Explorer and which is the actual Yeoman? Is the Boy Scout Yeoman (the topmost SAK image in this thread) a true Yeoman or is it an Explorer?

Just when you think you aren't confused, it kinda sneaks up on you....

GeoThorn

tarmacky said:
BTW where's your Scout store?
My local Boy Scout Store is the Daniel Beard Council store in Cincinnati, OH.

If you want a list of your nearest local Boy Scout stores I'd go to this web page, off of scoutstuff.org, and click the "Scouting Merchandise Distributors" link. On the web page where that link takes you, you can enter your zip code then click the "Submit" button. Next you will be shown a web page where they list the stores that are close to you.

I hope this helps!
GeoThorn

I may swing by there when we take our grand-daughter to King's Island this summer.The SAK you're showing is the Explorer,and the SAK at top of thread is the Yeoman.The biggest difference is;on the Yeoman the bottle opener/can opener layer is done away with and the knife blade layer has a combo tool instead of a pen knife blade to make a 3 layer knife instead of the Explorer's 4 layers.The V'nox/ Swiss Army Brands website is no big help.The Scouting section shows an original Yeoman,in stead of the current Yeoman which is an Explorer plus with the BSA emblem.If I can confuse you anymore let me know and I'll try to oblige. :confused: :confused: :)

I wanted to check the "Yeoman's" that they have in-stock, and, yes, they are Explorers that have had the hook, mini-screwdriver and pen (91mm?) added. Both the Boy Scout web site, as well as their catalog, shows the old discontinued Yeoman. I had my hopes up for purchasing one, too. However, $46.25 (before the government's cut...) for an Explorer, along with pen, hook and mini-screwdriver doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. ;)

Why did Victorinox discontinue the Yeoman? It looks like it was a great knife!

GeoThorn

The Yeoman and Scientist are both excellent models that were discontinued. Why? I have no idea. :confused:

Paul

Back