NEW STONE! Harquahala Mountain Shattuckite

This is a very small find. I have probably enough for no more than 12 Buck 110's and about the same number of smaller knives. Lance was over to the shop and I showed him the preforms so he has a pretty good idea about how few there will be unless Rodney (the miner) finds more he can pry out of the vein. Rodney did write to tell me he planned to make one more trip to the find to see if he can find more.

Lance,

I took your advice to "Go for it". I just couldn't resist the temptation. Now I just need 2 more matching knife sheaths. Maybe I could wear both knives with my double holsters.

Dennis,
Wow! I didn't think you really would, but I should have known you were serious! I can't wait to see them next time I meet you in SD. (Jun 27-July 5th) I'll email you soon...

I have an interesting thought on the composition of this new find so I thought I would share the latest email thread I have going and some photos that capture what I am "chatting" about.

It is an email thread so it will make more sense starting at the bottom.

Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:19 AM
To: Michael Hoover
Subject: RE: Harquahalla Shattuckite

I see what you are talking about. I have
noticed the red spider webbing in this material
that runs through the black. Could there be enough of that
to make the mud its color. I don't want to totally discount
psilomelene but I have my doubts. Let me take this up with
someone who may have some ideas and I'll get back to you.
Indeed very interesting.
BTW an exquisite knife.

Rodney

Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 08:58:29 -0700
Rodney,

It is not Hematite as it is too hard and not magnetic and the polish is too black. It even has the ‘circles” showing as I see in the outer crust areas of Psilomelane. When sanding it tends to “grab” and scuff like Psilomelane too. I have attached photos of how it polishes.

Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:33 AM
To: Michael Hoover

Michael,
Very interesting question. I have seen copper
minerals in some of the mangenese mines but not within the
same stone. The mud looks more like the result of hematite
rather than psilomelane. It could be pyrolusite in the mix but that
would not color your mud red or violet. I suspect iron before any of the others
but it would need to be analyzed by x-ray diffraction or AA (atomic absorption).
I am still working on a positive i d for the green. Will keep you posted.

Rodney

Subject: Harquahalla Shattuckite
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 13:34:54 -0700
Rodney,

I am working the Harquahalla stone now and it is very interesting to work with. It is challenging but takes a great polish.

I am wondering if it is possible for Psilomelane to be found mixed in with the Copper minerals? The very black parts of the Harquahalla stone act like Psilomelane when sanding and polishing and the black is darker than what I have seen of psuedomorphed Chalcocite in the Vulture Mt stone. I have attached a photo of the “mud” from Harquahalla as compared to “mud” from a piece of Chrysocolla in Chalcocite from Planet Ranch Az.

Michael S Hoover

Attachments

• Redrummd 1738PCS E.jpg
    Redrummd 1738PCS E.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Redrummd 1738PCS G.jpg
    Redrummd 1738PCS G.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Redrummd 1738PCS J.jpg
    Redrummd 1738PCS J.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Redrummd 1738PCS K.jpg
    Redrummd 1738PCS K.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
The owner of the knife does drop in so he may also be able to comment as I think he also owns one of my Psilomelane knives.

All,
Once again I was privileged to visit Mike's shop. I picked up a couple knives I purchased and checked on the Harquahalla Shattuckite custom 110 Mike is creating for me (pictured below).
This stone is absolutely STUNNING and let me reiterate what I have stated many times before, Michael is absolutely METICULOUS in his work! His craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing.
I thought I would post a few pictures...
2013-05-22132428_zpsc5e1603e.jpg

2013-05-22132638_zps6de0c4ce.jpg

2013-05-22132656_zps936af006.jpg

2013-05-22125934_zpsdc5c9a38.jpg

2013-05-22125923_zps99c924f2.jpg

2013-05-22125900_zpsbceb5ddc.jpg

Mike,
I received the two Buck 110's and the Mini Trapper with the Harquahala Mtn Shattuckite. I can't thank you enough for such awesome beautiful Redrummd artwork. They are great additions to the collection and I will be looking for more knives with this stone.
You are truely the master of stone art,
Dennis

Back