"New" tent review- Mountainsmith Sanctuary

Codger_64

The weather cleared today and I finally got caught up on my farm chores, and the shots the doc gave me yesterday have given me some reprieve from the bronchitus that set in with the cold rain last week. Sunshine at last.

So I decided that I deserved a bit of "playtime" with a new toy. I struck a deal with member, Storl, a few weeks ago for a "new-used" tent, a three man, three season Mountainsmith Sanctuary. First I scrubbed google for a picture and this was all I found:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountainsmith/sanctuary/

From REI:
"This freestanding three-person backpacking tent allows easy set-up no matter where you plant your tent. 7000-series aluminum poles are lighter and stronger than fiberglass poles for greater strength in adverse conditions. Color-coded clip attachment system makes set-up and take down easy. Integrated vestibule increases living space by allowing you to stash your gear outside and keep it safe from the elements. Exterior window allows for visibility from inside your tent. Bath tub floor construction keeps seams away from the ground for improved waterproofing. Large divided interior pockets are great for stashing essentials such as flashlight, headlamp and watch. Large mesh panels keep out bugs and provide superior ventilation. Includes tent stakes. Closeout."

Sanctuary.JPG

Mountainsmith, though not familiar to me, is headquartered in Golden Colorado and appears to have been around since 1979. So they aren't a "flash-in-the-pan" importer.

The stuff-bag is the typical lightweight nylon, albeit with a substantial gusseted nylon cord with a slide toggle to secure it. The bag, while small diameter, fit the tent and components well. No wasted space and I didn't have to fight the bag to empty it.

The components were fairly straightforward. Tent body, inner bag containing the three pole sections and stakes, and rainfly.

The tent was purchased used, but the original owner must have either been a super clean neat-freak, or it's prior use was limited to once in a clean environment in great weather with no bugs, sand, or grass. Clean as new it was.

Laying the components out on the ground, everything was intuitive. Good thing because there were no instructions included. Of course, tents aren't rocket science, but you might be surprised at some of the hair-brained engineering I have run across in fifty years of wrestling tents.

With the tent body spread flat (navy blue nylon tubbed floor so the floor wall seams are up off the ground and less prone to seep water, tan nylon and mesh walls for a less oppressive interior) I opened the bag of poles.

One set is gold anodized, one set natural silver with color-coordinated clip tabs on the tent body. Another small set of black coated ones that form the "brow" over the door. All three pole sets are shock corded so sorting is not a problem. Now why the need to color code when the pole sets are the same size and the tent is symmetrical, I dunno. The world won't end if the main body poles are switched.

Pole size (outside diameter) reminds me of my Easton arrows. In fact, the outer ends have pressed in inserts that rest into grommets in the four floor corners. The tent body is then clipped to the bowed pole sets with positive snap-fit plastic clips on nylon tape sewn to the shell. The entire structure is external to the tent and unlike the cheaper tent I love to hate, they aren't fed through sewn tubes that stretch and tear. The brow set likewise fits into grommets at each end.

Now, I did all this assembly without staking the tent since one of my prerequisites for a tent was that it be free-standing due to my intended use on the river on loose gravel bars. I did not have to bend or stretch anything to get the poles to fit in their grommet seats or their body clips.

Next, the rainfly was installed. I suppose that in fair weather the tent could be used without it, but my intended use is the fourth season when cold wind and precipitation are the norm. Unrolling the fly to locate the door, I clipped that wall first to the fastex buckle located on the stake/pole grommet loop on the front two corners. Then fastened the rear two fastex buckles. Weather proof shelter in under ten minutes. Now, left like this, I can see where the reviewers had complaints about the brow pole flexing and inverting. Unzipping the door to the fly vestibule, there are three Velcro tabs which secure the brow pole to the tent body and fly. All snugged into one piece, I don’t see how it could flex or move.
At this point, I went inside for a look at the new abode. First off I noticed thru the mesh how the fly was in contact with the tent body. Not a good thing when you want waterproofness. I went back out and staked out the fly at the center guylines, the rear, and the two vestibule guy points. Now it works.

The inside has a pair of sewn in mesh gear bags one left and one right near the entrance. And a huge hanging loft attic with one zippered compartment and one divided compartment a plastic flashlight clip hanging from the center. Good furnishings so far!

The vestibule is smallish, but it’s door has a sealed in horizontal rectangular window to let you see out when it is zipped up against the weather. Nice touch.

Interior space is quite adequate for two people with moderate gear. Downright spacious for one person and a pile-o-gear. I am 6’1 tall, but can easily sit up in the tent to the side of the loft (which can be moved or removed).

All in all, I find this tent to my liking. Muted colors of dark blue floor and forest green fly easy to erect even without a manual, plenty of space and small packed size. I can overcome the problem with staking the fly out as I have in the past by using mesh “anchor bags” filled with gravel. The small vestibule is welcome but doesn’t provide much covered outdoor space when open. Yeah, I need to add a small accessory fly to make a cooking, sitting and lounging space. I’m even considering a light canvas painter’s tarp for the fireproofness, extending it from the tent to near my cookfire. Another piece of canvas for a groundcloth (called a footprint these days).

I am well satisfied with this tent so far. Of course the proof will be actual use in bad weather. In the meantime though if you happen upon this make and model and are in the market for a tent, give it some serious consideration. So far, I give it five stars for “bang-for-the-buck”. And Mountainsmith is sending me the paperwork as one of those reviewers indicated they would.

Codger :):):):):)

I'm glad you liked it. The original owner did actually only use it once, and he is a sponsored climber that takes meticulous care of his gear. He just couldn't use it anymore since Mountainsmith is not one of his sponsors.

MS does make some nice stuff. Their packs are pretty well known and liked, especially their ultralight stuff.

From an engineer/QC perspective, I only noticed two flaws, both minor. First, the tent uses some good low-tech solutions to fasteners like the "T" toggles fed thru loops to secure the door and vestibule open, and the fastex buckles for the fly. All of which are injection molded from nylon-type plastic. One of the frame pole clips was a "short shot", meaning the mold cavity did not fill completely with material. The release tab portion of this one clip is not there. Not broken or cut off, just not there. Tiny problem I can and did deal with.

Next, a lot of loose threads hanging from the selvage inside the tent. Again, not a problem and I'll trim them some day when rain or wind keeps me tent-bound and bored. They could snag in the zippers or on my equipment and cause a tear. Considering the number of seams and components sewn into the tent body, it is surprising to not find more wrong. But this is nit-picky stuff that most folks wouldn't notice, and do not at all detract from the overall package or value. Heck, if I have a gripe it is that there is nothing needed to customize to improve it for my own personal likes! Well, other than adding a lounging fly and groundcloth. And parking it on the river.

Thanks again!

Codger :)

Hey Codger,

Glad you got tent-outfitted.

You came to the same conclusion that I did years ago. Tent flys suck. We stopped carrying the fly, altogether and replaced it with a blue plastic tarp, that is much larger. Use a rope for a ridge pole.

This gives much better coverage from the elements and extends well out in front of the tent. We've sat through some bad storms in our lawn chairs (hey, I didn't say we were roughing it :eek:) under the front extension, and in case of a really, really bad storm, there is ample tarp to really 'batten down the hatches'.

Did I mention flys suck?

Doc

Back