1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to antique axes.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Balakay, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Balakay

Balakay

Sep 11, 2018
    Hello everyone, been lurking here a few days and this is my first post. Today at the local flea market I was able to pick up a Beatty & Son fire fighter axe (I believe to to be from the mid 1800's cant find a date for the stamp) and a Modern Woodmen of America parade axe (I believe to be from the 1940's). I'll try to get pictures of them in this post soon. I was thinking about restoring the heads and rehanging them, but as of right now I just plan on them being wall hangers, do you think I should or leave them as is? Also the parade axe has an aluminum head, does anyone have any tips for working with aluminum besides just metal polish? Thanks in advance!

2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    crap those are parade axes?
    anyway steel wool on the aluminum should be ok...
    you got pictures of the beatty? that would help in deciding what to do

3. Balakay

Balakay

Sep 11, 2018
    The Modern Woodmen of America axe is a parade axe. I'll get pictures of them of them up asap, but photobucket isnt playing nice right now.

phantomknives likes this.
  4. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    If you like the user interface of Photobucket, you might like Flickr.

5. Balakay

Balakay

Sep 11, 2018
    Edited: had an issue with the links

Got the photos, thanks for being patient! Sorry if they're not the best was just trying to get some so I can post them really quick.

MWA fullshot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sides of the head
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The edge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beatty fullshot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Square_peg, phantomknives and Agent_H like this.
  6. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    i think there might be a lot of interest in the handle on the MWA axe, someone might just ask for a pattern in the future,

i'm surprised that beatty isnt worn down much at all but neither of them seems to need much work if any at all

BamaDADx3 likes this.
  7. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The WOW/MWA axes have wonderfully shaped hafts but mine is ash or something and very light. It would make a great pattern.

8. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My Internet is down at home but I'll try to upload some pics later. I have the same fire axe as you do. Old. Your haft looks original too, and as such I've decided not to do anything to mine. I feel it's value, both intrinsic and monetary, will be preserved by not doing anything to it. And that's saying something for me because I "fix" everything! Lol. Nice finds man and welcome to the forum!