New to Fiddleback Forge, knife use question please

Experiment if you can. I've had thick knives that couldn't cut for shit as received from the maker, while at the same time I have some 3/16+" thick beast that cut as good as any 3/32" knife. I'd have to try pretty damn hard to break a 0.220" thick properly treated knife, but I know I could bugger up a thin one easily if I wanted. Match your steel thickness to your uses and expectations and faith in a maker that grinds out good cutters. But you are here, so ignore that last part. From what you describe probably anything 1/8" +/- an 1/8" would be fine.

There is a lot to like in the 4" range. Production/Custom Bushfingers, Bush Hermit, or a Kephart for more point. Maybe a Bushcrafter. Those would be my top choices. Since you already have a Hiking buddy, maybe consider pairing it with a larger Duke (Woodsman if you like pointer). If you are really keen on the Hiking Buddy, maybe try out a Scandi Handyman in 1/8" to have a scandi for carving into wood.

In summary Bushfinger, Bush Hermit, Handyman (scandi) would be my suggestions. Duke/Woodsman if you want something more robust to pair with the Hiking buddy.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all the comments and advise.

Looking like all I really need to do is pick out what I like the looks of best in the 4" range and I will pretty much be good to go. Let everything else take care of its self.

You all did give me some more to look into before making a decision.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate all the comments and advise.

Looking like all I really need to do is pick out what I like the looks of best in the 4" range and I will pretty much be good to go. Let everything else take care of its self.

You all did give me some more to look into before making a decision.
Please post some pics of your selection T texasrimfirenut and some user pics!!! Good luck shopping! :thumbsup:

Back