New to Knives

Yeah... I thought about that... and then I was like "HELL, they've probably already got one!"... but thanks! I will def keep that in mind.

I'm not so crazy about the "Recondo"... don't really care for the partial serrations either (think I'd rather just have the NW Ranger)... I think the new Saw Back Team Leader would be the way to go there.

Also found a "Tactical" version of the NW RANGER.. called the "Tactical Ranger"?... It appears that the only difference is that it's bead blasted instead of the satin finish. Pretty neat.

Also, I know the Field Knife is probably the most popular discontinued knife... are there any other popular discontinued knives that I'm probably unaware of?

Also, I know the Field Knife is probably the most popular discontinued knife... are there any other popular discontinued knives that I'm probably unaware of?

If you can find a GOV-TAC with the white and red washers. This was when they were introduced and had Japan blades.

benchSOG,

get out yer diamond stones and wail away on that Recondo .... my pal did it to mine !! He doesn't like "tanto" or "serrations," so ..... here's the pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502897

Cheers,

Carl

I'll probably just get myself the Field Knife and safe the trouble... lol! Although, that "modified tanto point" has to have some strength advantages over the regular field knife... hmm... now I'm thinking again... haha... Very cool! Thanks!

If you can find a GOV-TAC with the white and red washers. This was when they were introduced and had Japan blades.

I was expecting to see a red and white leather washer handle pattern, but then again that would look like an ignorant lethal candy cane... :) hmm... stocking stuffer?

It's the exact same AUS-8, just bead blasted with the diff washers, correct?

I was expecting to see a red and white leather washer handle pattern, but then again that would look like an ignorant lethal candy cane... :) hmm... stocking stuffer?

It's the exact same AUS-8, just bead blasted with the diff washers, correct?

The first GOV-TACS were Seki Japan blades and retailed for about $145. The current line is part of the SOG discount line and retail for about $125. The blade is still AUS8 that is attributed to Japan but they are manufactured in Taiwan now. I've owned both and they are of the same quality. But like I mentioned at the beginning of this thread if you are looking for a SOG fixed blade as a first knife than I would get one with Seki-Japan on the blade. IMO. My favorite one is the Scub/Demo[lition]. Next would be the Recon Bowie. Both still in production and not discontinued like what you are looking for.

This link gives a little more information on the red/white washer GOV-TAC:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505500

Back