New-to-me Scout -- 11-3-10 Update, Now w/ Patina!

BOSS1

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Well, I managed to acquire a nice NWA Scout from a fellow member here. This is my first NWA. Nice all-rounder, good ergos. Black micarta handles with red liners. Good secure sheath. Got a fire steel and put it in the loop. Added a easy-to-spot bright lanyard. The prior owner was nice enough to add a little 'character' to it for me, so this one won't wind up a safe queen.

There is just something about a custom blade. Last photo shows it next to my custom Sandown Forge Kanell.

I'll ad some photos of it next to a couple others for comparison (CRK, Bravo1, RMD).

Looking forward to getting this one to the woods.

Enjoy.
BOSS

Last edited:
Nice pics man. Glad you like it! Let me know how it performs for ya.

That one is still my one of my most popular models.

Nick:)

One of my all time favorite designs by you bro....truely the height of functional. I really wish more makers would put the ergos and thick slabs on their blades that you use.

Greetings all,

Well, I went back and forth on whether or not to 'age' my Scout. As it already had a few miles on it, and I had never done it before, and it was going to be a 'user,' I figured I'd give it a go.

I started w/ a BBQ/vinegar/mustard/lemon juice mixture that gave me results I wasn't too happy with. Large, dark marks that reminded me of liver spots.

So I went to multiple applications mustard/lemon juice until I got what you see here. It certainly makes the hamon 'pop' a little more (which was almost invisible before).

Had this been a pristine new example of Nick's work, I don't think I could have brought myself to do it, but for a knife I plan on taking to the field, I think it works alright.

Let me know what you think. You've got before and after shots for comparison.

BOSS

Looks great man:thumbup:

I may have to try that mix

Nick:)

MAN, BOSS1...I think that looks 10X better!!!! Nice Job!!! Oh... and a belated Congrat's on the score too!!!

Stump

I think it turned out great! Helps protect the blade...and it really makes the hamon line pop out.

Just something about the O1 and the temper line Nick does, it just looks awesome new, and awesome all used and patina'd up! :thumbup:

Looks great with the patina.

I have always loved the look of his handles and the blade shapes he uses.

Back