New to the addiction

Hi, like the title said, I'm new to this pocket knife addiction. It started last Saturday when I stopped at the Shepard of the Hills Case store and ended up buying a good looking, easy carrying medium stockman, navy blue jigged bone.
Two days latter I picked up a Boker Tree Brand stockman in faux tortoise shell which I over paid for ($45) because the guy told me the Tree Brand ones were 100% German made. But it's a pretty knife and doesn't overlap the smaller Case..
Next I bought a Buck Texas Toothpick because it's neat looking and I don't even notice it in my pocket.
Right now I have an Opinel #7 Carbon in my Amazon cart.
So that's 4 knives in 6 days and I'm already looking for my next. See what I mean, it's an addiction.
Where should I go Next? looking for suggestions.
Right now what catches my eye is the Copperlock, the mini Copperlock, mini Copperhead, or maybe something from GEC like the Nortfield Bull Moose .
I really like the Case Abolone scales, the Case Blue Krinite, emerald green bone and toasted bone.
I'd love to hear some suggestions.
Pocket carry, general use and I like variety and usually natural over synthetic.
Thanks

Hi, like the title said, I'm new to this pocket knife addiction. It started last Saturday when I stopped at the Shepard of the Hills Case store and ended up buying a good looking, easy carrying medium stockman, navy blue jigged bone.
Two days latter I picked up a Boker Tree Brand stockman in faux tortoise shell which I over paid for ($45) because the guy told me the Tree Brand ones were 100% German made. But it's a pretty knife and doesn't overlap the smaller Case..
Next I bought a Buck Texas Toothpick because it's neat looking and I don't even notice it in my pocket.
So that's 4 knives in 6 days and I'm already looking for my next. See what I mean, it's an addiction.
Right now what catches my eye is the Copperlock, the mini Copperlock, mini Copperhead, or maybe something from GEC like the Nortfield Bull Moose .
I really like the Case Abolone scales, the Case Blue Krinite, emerald green bone and toasted bone.
Pocket carry, general use and I like variety and usually natural over synthetic.
Thanks
You need a trapper, Scott. Case's best seller. And check out the lambsfoot. See the "Guardians of the Lambsfoot" thread. Good luck!

Very good start.
Personally I'd recommend the case half whittler, the small Texas jack in amber jigged bone, a Sodbuster Jr , and a Victorinox of your choosing.
The recruit is a good place to start, and we'll priced at about $15.

Scott, you poor devil, there is no going back now - you are on the road to ruin! Get a Buck 110 for the great outdoors, and a SAK. The Trapper has been mentioned, there is the Congress pattern (2, 3, 4, 6 blade versions) - hundreds of variations of Pen Knives for dress and Sunday carry. Gotta have a Scout Knife, man too many to list, but that will get you started. Welcome to the Porch! OH

Thanks
If your looking at a small carry that does not even feel like you are carrying a knife, have a look at the Rough Rider Peanut in jigged bone. They cost about $7 US. They are a great little sharp knife. As you are starting out, you want to try a few different styles without spending too much, till you decide which way your interests lie. Other wise like me and many others you outlay a small fortune on knives that seemed like a good idea at the time, but your not that keen on. All the best, and if i can give some advise, try to control the impulse buying, have a think and get back to it if you really like it.:confused:

Scott, welcome and my condolences, you can kiss your bank account goodbye:D:D:D. What ever you do don't get into collecting the vintage knives or you might have to take out a second mortgage on the house:).

If you want to give GEC a try I might look for the 44 Gunstock or the 82 Dixie Stockman, both were fairly recent large runs and some are still available at dealers, you can get a list of dealers from GEC's website, there are several that post on this site.

IMG_9351.jpg IMG_9765.jpg

Welcome, Scott! I recommend adding a Case Tribal Lock to your growing list...
eQdEHmo.jpg

Welcome.

That store gets fair bit of my money and I live waaaay away from it. I can't imagine actually being able to go there any time I wanted. Yikes! :eek::D

I'm gonna go against the grain a little bit and say don't buy another knife right now. Put your money into some sharpening gear and do some research. You can sharpen. No matter what you read or hear, it isn't voodoo and you can do it. Yes it takes some practice and yes, once you get into the upper echelons of sharpening, it can be like voodoo, but you can learn how to get a nice working edge.

For starting out, I think the 300/1200 grit Ultra Sharp (brand) diamond combination stone is great. Do yourself a favor and just get the 8"x3" as you'll have great versatility. It'll cost you about what a nicer Case knife will.

Next, get a red permanent marker. This is for marking the bevel to let you know how you're doing on the stone. USE IT! Keep marking if you have to. It'll wash off.

Then if you have an old belt or even the pants leg off an old pair of jeans, you can rig up a strop. No need to buy one. With most of these more basic steels you don't even need compound but you can always get some buffing compound at a hardware store.

Now you can maintain the knives you already own and all the ones that are to come after.

There's a great sub-forum here on Maintenance with loads of very helpful people and advice. YouTube can also be a great resource but can also be misleading so take it all with a five pound bag of salt. :)

Last edited:
While we here on the porch are usually the world's foremost enablers, I would recommend you take a hiatus from buying and just USE and ENJOY the ones you've already bought. Use them with a critical eye and feel, and try to discover just which attributes you like best. Then when you buy your next ones, you'll likely enjoy them even more!

A lot of good advice here. Both on what knives to buy, and what to buy instead of knives. I love my Mini-Copperlocks, see this thread, https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/clan-of-the-copperlock-mini-copperlock.1665494/
GEC's are fantastic knives, and seem to have a more "robust" build to me.
The advice for both investing in a method to sharpen your knives, and also taking a hiatus from purchasing, and just using the knives you already have is good BUT, you have evidently fallen down the same rabbit hole we have, and NOT buying is probably not a realistic option :rolleyes:
Let us know what you decide, and of course pictures are mandatory!

Rough Rider will let you try different patterns without bankrupting the bank.
They are good knives, quality well above their price point. (they also have a lifetime warranty) When you find patterns you like, you can always "upgrade" to a more "collectable" brand, like Case, if you want to.

I'll second the motion for a Buck 110. You won't feel/notice the weight on your belt.

The Case patterns I think every knife knut should own are...
Peanut
Canoe
Texas Jack
Mini Trapper
Large Trapper
Medium Stockman
Large Stockman
I still need to get me a Canoe and a Large Stockman :)

Wow, thanks for all the great replies.
I agree the Buck 110 is a classic, and I've had one for years, it's pretty much my do everything hunting knife, but I just don't like carrying it when I'm not hunting.
Sharpening. .I really should learn. I tried several times but I'm just not good at it. I usually have the guy at Bass Pro do it or use one of those v shaped sharpners in between.

Literally, the only knife I carry EVERY day, whether lounging around the house or going to work, to play, to church, whatever, is . . .
an alox Cadet SAK. I'm not likely to wear them out either, as I have 17 different colors. They're small, light, stainless, and have a great set of tools. Here are my first four.

j1I5bBY.jpg

Back