New toy for long weekend

WOW... I just came home to this in my mailbox. :eek: It's the latest offering from Blind Horse Knives, The Bushcrafter. The blade is 4" of 4140 recycled sawblade steel with a cold blued finish, Rockwell of 52-55. It's got beautiful Tiger Maple scales and brass pins, and it's 8 1/2" overall. Superb fit and finish and comes with a custom JRE sheath all for $100. This knife fills my hand very nicely and is very well balanced. The grind is amazing. Anyone that didn't get in on the first production run should check out the next run of this awesome knife. :thumbup:

Jeff

picture.php

Wandering_About

Gold Member
That looks like a really great knife. Have like the Blind Horse knives that I've seen, though about picking up one of their Tiger Knapp knives for a while. That's a really slick knife, and a really good price. Very Kephart-ish. Wonder how the 4140 steel holds up, it's one I don't see around very much other than from BHK.

It is very Kephart-like isn't it? It's the first blade of this pattern that I have purchased, but it won't be the last.

Jeff

I saw that earlier and liked the looks a lot. I can't get a grasp on the size, though. If you get a chance to snap a pic with a common blade like a Mora, it'd be much appreciated! :thumbup:

you have seen 4140 more than you know...its saw blade steel....

damn good stuff....cheap too.

4140.... I know it's popular for ax and tomahawk heads. My bucket anvil is a piece of 10x8" diameter (cylindrical) 4140 steel. Supposed to be very tough.

Andy

I saw that earlier and liked the looks a lot. I can't get a grasp on the size, though. If you get a chance to snap a pic with a common blade like a Mora, it'd be much appreciated! :thumbup:

Spooky,

Here's a comparison shot with a couple of knives that are popular around these parts. Hope this helps.

Jeff

picture.php

Gossman PSK, Koster Bushcraft, BHK Bushcrafter

Thanks Jeff, that's quite helpful! How 'hand filling' would you describe it, as compared to the Koster?

Man, that thing is beautiful. I was thinking of getting a RC-4, but I may reconsider...

Thanks Jeff, that's quite helpful! How 'hand filling' would you describe it, as compared to the Koster?

It fills the hand quite nicely, much fuller than the Koster. Same shape throughout the length of handle. Very nice. :thumbup:

Jeff

Oh crap. Another one I need to get....

I knew you were gonna say that. I saw the pic and was like; oh, there goes JW's next knife:D

Seriously though, I got to handle 1 of their knives at the W.L.C. and although that particular knife had a hollow grind which I don't like for outdoor usage. It was exremely well made. Beautiful file work on the spine and excellent fit and finish.

The bushcraft you have there looks like a very handy knife. Is that a full convex grind? Whats the thickness on it?

Sorry for all the questions.

kgd

Excellent looking knife. What is the thickness of the blade? It also looks like the metal has its own patina on it. That is really cool.

Excellent looking knife. What is the thickness of the blade? It also looks like the metal has its own patina on it. That is really cool.

It's 1/8" thick with a cold blued finish.

Jeff

kgd

That would make it just about perfect in my books! Also have to say that is a really nice sheath. Will you be wearing it fixed to a carbiner/belt loop, like in Scott Gossman's earlier posted suggestion?

Its been blued, the blade is 1/8ths. check out the link in post #15

EDIT. I was late as usual