New Toy, Old Hike!-

Not much RAT content except the hat. I just wanted to share with my RAT brothers.

Bertha Peak, Big Bear California

I got a new toy and have been itching to get to some higher elevation. Just a quick day hike in Big Bear California- Bertha Peak. The hike starts at about 6,500 feet and the peak is around 8,200. Not a hard hike but definitely one for scenery. I have done this three other times in the snow and in the summer heat.

After much debate and soul searching I picked up a new toy, the Victorinox Swiss Tool X. I was in the market for a new Multi-Tool and although I have the Leatherman Wave (old model) I never really liked the performance of the clip point blade on wood and the saw always seemed a tad too short but then again I never took it outdoors. I know I give up the one-handed opening feature but I feel the gain is worth it. On the Swiss Tool X, all the tools lock. I now have a longer saw and the famous Swiss Army spear point flat ground blade. One more huge reason for ditching the one- handed opening blades, in some countries that I have been to they are illegal. With the Swiss Tool X, I don’t need to worry about local law enforcement or customs officials in other countries giving me crap.

Here are a few pictures from the hike and of course, the Swiss Tool X.

-RB

IMG_6298.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg
IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6395.jpg
IMG_6415.jpg

IMG_6475.jpg
IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg
IMG_6418.jpg

Victorinox Swiss Tool X
IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

Scissors, a tool perfect for trimming toe nails out on the trail, cutting zip ties, string hanging off clothes, first aid use, and many other tasks.
IMG_6562.jpg

Larger locking Blade and Saw than the Hiker
IMG_6561.jpg
IMG_6556.jpg

Larger tools on the Swiss Tool than the Hiker
IMG_6565.jpg
IMG_6568.jpg

In hand shots for Will (spooky) and Hollowdweller
IMG_6455.jpg
IMG_6572.jpg

Last edited:
I have been beating the hell out of a regular Swisstool for the last 6-9 months.

Absolutely love it. Tough as nails.

Bear,

Great pics as always. I noticed that you wear the whistle/magnifying glass/thermometer type of survival tool on your necklace a lot. Can you provide a little analysis?

Bear,

Great pics as always. I noticed that you wear the whistle/magnifying glass/thermometer type of survival tool on your necklace a lot. Can you provide a little analysis?
I have about three and I always keep them around my neck with a TOPS Dogtag mirror, Boy Scout Fire Steel, and LED light. I even sleep with them on if I am in a hammock.

You can get it at Target or Walmart. It is simple and always am curious about the temp. and the whistle is a must for the outdoors.
Jeff Randall called it a toy and I used Mike's compass for the Navigational part of the Jungle School. For general direction, a whistle, and thermometer it's good.

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

In Peru with Aguilar in a mini-van cab
IMG_3393.jpg

Day 2
Today was a very different day! After a day of blue sky and fair weather...snow!
IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

Used for measuring how deep the snow was
IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6652.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

Coyote
IMG_6626-2.jpg

IMG_6656.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

The Swiss Tool gets pretty cold in 30F
IMG_6660.jpg
IMG_6680.jpg

Thanks. I've heard the multi-function survival tools often referred to as toys, which prompted my question. I like your statement about it always being with you in the field, in a tough spot, that necklace has a lot value. BTW - have you seen these, any opinions?:

http://www.lastditchblade.com/last_ditch.php

I belive that RAT is carrying them too.

I haven't seen those, I am going to get some for sure.

As for my toy necklace, it makes four types of signaling possible (light, mirror, fire, whistle) and I also get general direction and a temp. reading. In Australia one of those thermometers broke when the temp. got to about 40C.

-RB

Back