New TV Survival Show - Alone

We loved this show. But we concluded that the show should have been called when it got down to the final 4.

Called what? You never said.

AFAIK, they were not allowed to hunt large game. This came up and one of the guys said he wasn't allowed to discuss it but implied they were required to abide by fish and game laws.

I think the blog was a good read. He made some valid points and had some fair assessments. When I did my first "lone stand" it was for just under two weeks and I was limited to a 20m radius for all my food, water and shelter making. It dropped to -35C at night and I only had a knife and fire kit. IT WAS REALLY HARD. I can imagine what was going through these guy's minds. I think the locations were acceptable, coming from a safety standpoint. There were a lot of guys out there and they did not know what to expect. I suspect if there are more seasons, we will see more remote locations. Baby steps.

Season 2 starts April 21st. I enjoyed the first season a lot.

[YOUTUBE]68FF0PtwnWw[/YOUTUBE]

They ARE allowed to hunt any game or fish, in any way that they wish. They are given the same "subsistence" permit that the Innuit are given. The contestants (so far) just haven't known how to go about doing such things. Only 8 or so have taken any sort of projectile weapon, 2 of those were worthless slingshots. nobody has hit anything with an arrow, not even a fish. Fowler managed to hit one bird with his slingshot. He didn't know something that I discovered at age 8. No rock flies straight. You have to make baked clay balls for the shots that are not worthy of an arrow. Take a slingbow, so that you've got that option. it's a lot easier to keep a slingbow at hand than it is a regular bow.

Back