New type of Damascus? Spring steel damascus?

Has anyone ever wrapped a core of tool steel with an actual spring?

Some snippets of something I have been working on:

Still working on it, but I am curious if anyone has ever done it before. The key is to reduce the amount of surface grinding so you can see the pattern more.

The term "spring steel" is a bit nebulous as many steels have been used as springs.
For any Damascus it's better to have two steels that have similar HT proceedures but different etching properties . A very popular mix that will work is 1080/15N20. Finding a stainless mix is more complex and etching more difficult.

Interesting concept, looking forward to see what you turn out.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

The term "spring steel" is a bit nebulous as many steels have been used as springs.
For any Damascus it's better to have two steels that have similar HT proceedures but different etching properties . A very popular mix that will work is 1080/15N20. Finding a stainless mix is more complex and etching more difficult.

True, but that is also an actual spring.. so I get to use the term spring steel with impunity ;)

I am just curious if this is something someone has already done. Hard to break new ground considering men have been hammering steel for millennia

I dunno about providence but I can't wait to see.

Back in the 19th Century, some dishonest gun makers would wrap a plain iron tube with wire and forge weld it together and past off as a more expensive stub twist or damascus barrel.

Back in the 19th Century, some dishonest gun makers would wrap a plain iron tube with wire and forge weld it together and past off as a more expensive stub twist or damascus barrel.

I didn't realize Century had been around that long.

I have seen heaver springs annealed, flattened on a bar of 1095, and forged into a faux-twist damascus. It was OK looking, but nothing to get excited over.

30 years ago, I have seen a billet made that way yielding a basic ladder pattern in the end. Nothing new under the sun...

Stacy, did it look like an old stub twist barrel? Those obviously did not have the patterns of the later 'true' damascus barrels, but they had some interesting surface textures, probably from being made from a witches brew of very high grade horseshoe nail iron and buggy spring steel.
I have seen heaver springs annealed, flattened on a bar of 1095, and forged into a faux-twist damascus. It was OK looking, but nothing to get excited over.

No, it was just parallel lines like a tight twist pattern. Stubb I have seen had a variance of pattern.

I did a demo a few years back of a four layer billet with 4 alternating layers of 1075 and O-1 Each was 1/4" by 1". Once welded up and squared, the surfaces were ground clean. It was then forged round, cleaned up again, and twisted as tight as possible. When forged flat it had a bold twist look that made me think of Vikings ... so I made a dagger from it.

I have wondered if you could created a faux twist or even faux damascus barrel by twisting a really long and fat damascus bar and drilling it out? I particularly wonder about doing it with a really thick round of crush W's and grinding down expose the "firestorm" pattern?
This thread has me thinking about how you might make a faux twist barrel by using say a big garage/overhead door spring with a core of some other steel.
No, it was just parallel lines like a tight twist pattern. Stubb I have seen had a variance of pattern.

I did a demo a few years back of a four layer billet with 4 alternating layers of 1075 and O-1 Each was 1/4" by 1". Once welded up and squared, the surfaces were ground clean. It was then forged round, cleaned up again, and twisted as tight as possible. When forged flat it had a bold twist look that made me think of Vikings ... so I made a dagger from it.

I see every pic except the last update.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Back