How To New use for large fixed blade

jacksterp

Basic Member
Love Le Tour and this demo.

But, I believe I would simply 'unscrew' the cork.

Champagne_sword.jpg

Sabrage /səˈbrɑːʒ/ is a technique for opening a champagne bottle with a saber,[1] used for ceremonial occasions. The wielder slides the saber along the body of the bottle to break the top of the neck away, leaving the neck of the bottle open and ready to pour. The force of the blunt side of the blade hitting the lip breaks the glass to separate the collar from the neck of the bottle. One does not use the sharp side of the blade. The cork and collar remain together after separating from the neck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrage

I have to wonder how many people have swallowed glass after doing that :thumbsdown: stunt.

I have to wonder how many people have swallowed glass after doing that :thumbsdown: stunt.
Champagne is under a lot of pressure. My guess is zero.

My wife and her friends did this at a get together one weekend. All of them had to take a turn. A lot of drinking that weekend. :D

I'm constantly surprised at how many bad knife use ideas exist... this is right up there with the worst.

A champagne cork can be pulled/twisted off without any effort

it's like the guy at work who insists on whipping out his medford/hinderer heavy folder to take plastic wrap off a box of chocolates... (even though the plastic wrap has a pulltab/strip to make it super easy)

Henry Beige

Gold Member

^^^^^^^
This

The best technique is to ease the cork out slowly so there is no pop and minimal foam. If the champagne is worth drinking, why waste it by letting ir spume over?

i....like the guy at work who insists on whipping out his medford/hinderer heavy folder to take plastic wrap off a box of chocolates... (even though the plastic wrap has a pulltab/strip to make it super easy)

Respect! Those pulltab/strips are evil!!!! I certainly agree with your coworker this time.

If it is done properly the glass will break cleanly. Even if it isn’t the pressure of the champagne overflowing will wash away any glass pieces.

Still it is advisable to check for any glass in the first few glasses poured.

I'm constantly surprised at how many bad knife use ideas exist... this is right up there with the worst.

it's like the guy at work who insists on whipping out his medford/hinderer heavy folder to take plastic wrap off a box of chocolates... (even though the plastic wrap has a pulltab/strip to make it super easy)

This is a great knife usage and tradition. It was used by Napolean’s troops to impress the local girls of the town they just “liberated.”

Last edited:
Native XF ad, Below bottom BC