New used Advocate - whoa!

I'll preface this by stating that I'm new at this and don't really have the knife bug yet. I carried one of those little aluminum scaled Swiss Army knives forever, then a Delica for a while, another one when I lost the first one, and a Para 2 the past 8 years. The Para 2 seemed pretty incredible with no other real knives to compare it to, it went in my pocket and other knives stopped being interesting.

Then I chipped it up pretty good cutting zip ties off wire fencing, made the mistake of watching knife touch up videos on youtube, which led to more knife videos, which led here again, and suddenly I've got two new knives on my desk and three more coming. Anyhow, on to this Advocate I just bought.

1. This knife is scary sharp. I thought the factory PM2 edge was scary sharp, and I could get maybe 75% of the way back there with a 1200 grit stone, but this showed up mirror polished and it's on an entirely different level. Is this a M4 thing or an expert sharpened it thing? I'll find out when I use it up enough to try and sharpen it myself.

2. This knife is really, really stiff. I can't flip it all the way open with one hand. It's not very rough, it doesn't feel gritty or have sticky spots, it's just stiff. Squeezing the frame lock out of the way to remove all tension it still doesn't swing freely. I read about the CQI bushing, this was listed as the improved model and I can see the edge of the bearing cage and it's bronze which makes me think that's correct. I washed it out with hot soapy water and oiled it and it didn't help much. Is this just the way they are or did I buy someone else's problem? Is there anything inside which a trained monkey can fix?

I'd recommend gently loosening the pivot screw until you find the balance between smooth movement and no blade play. The Advocate won't generally drop free, but they aren't overly stiff in my experience.

You were dead on about the pivot screw.

I couldn't help myself from opening it up, it is the CQI model. Not much gunk at all inside but both washers had an obvious wear groove going where the bearings roll on them. I flipped them over to present the undamaged side to the bearing but can't feel any difference whatsoever.

Not comfortable at all with how tight that tiny T9 screw was. No good reason it couldn't have been at least a T10 and a T15 like a Millie would be better.

I don't have any more justification than that I already had it apart and the grooved side looked uglier.

Did you add some lube? Bearing knives should be fast and smooth with the pivot snugged down. The friction typically comes from the (detent) ball bearing.
Spyderco's 2nd gen system works well.

The problem was that the pivot was cranked down WAY too tight. Breaking it loose scared me that I was going to strip out that tiny torx screw. Backed out a bit it now flips open easily.

Just a hair when it's partially open, none locked up. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't wobbled it to check. Now that you've put wobbling in my head I checked my old PM2 (two hairs), my new Military (zero hairs to six decimal places), and the 2 dollar chinese lockbacks in my toolbag (one and three hairs).

Neat little knife. This could get expensive fast.

As to M4, I've always found it a very very rewarding steel to both sharpen and use. Gets very sharp very easily and holds it for quite a long time.

Back