New "used" Native inquiry

KBR

I bought a used Native 35/65 in GIN-1 steel, today, and have a minor problem. Minor being the partially serrated edge. The previous owner seems to have used a V type sharpener and started to slowly grind away at the serrations.

If I send this knife back to Spyderco, can they/will they regrind the serrations back to "like new" condition? Also, does the complimentary sharpening cover those Spydies that have had previous owners?

Thanks for your input.

P.S.--FYI, I have contacted Spyderco, but waiting on the reply. (It's the weekend.)

I'm pretty sure that the complimentary sharpening is done to any Spyderco whose owner sends it in.

If the points of the serrations are rounded off, Spyderco can regrind the blade to restore the points. If the points are sharp, but there are nicks in the edge elsewhere where the previous owner's sharpener dug in while grinding the points, a set of Profiles or, if you're careful, the 204 can restore the edge to a good working condition.

In either case, if you're uncertain if you can improve the edge's condition, the best thing to do would be to contact Spyderco, maybe with a picture, and ask them for their opinion and advice. A major repair of the edge, beyond simple grinding to sharpen, may fall under non-warranty repair, so you may have to spend a little to get it back in like-new condition.

Back