"new" way of pickling vegetables

Not really new, as the Japanese have been doing it for a long time.

Since there is no "food" forum I thought it might fit here as many of you have gardens and are into being thrifty, making the most of things, and learning new techniques.

The pickles are called "nukazuke" and translates literally as "rice bran pickle."

Basically you take some rice bran, salt, seaweed, dried chili peppers, and water and mix it up and let it sit. Stir daily with hands and add random vegetables.

After a few weeks you have a nicely fermenting mixture. Wild yeast and lactobacillus are the active organisms. Like Kim-chee or sourkraut.

After this you just bury vegetables, even veggies that have gone limp, in the mixture for a few hours or days, depending. You then have fermented Japanese pickles that taste yummy.

I just did this about three weeks ago and am now enjoying my own pickles. Radishes are done in about 12 hours right now, but the fermentation keeps getting stronger and the time for pickling is getting shorter.

I can't believe I haven't done this sooner. These are very tasty!

Here are some pics:

I make my own pickles and buy kimchi from a local Korean grocer. This sounds like something I will have to try. Do you rinse the vegetables off before eating, or is the pickling mixture part of the dish. Chris

Back