New Woods

Here are a couple custom Companions with woods I havent used before. Amboyna Burel and Curley Maple.
I like them both! Knives are 4" to 4.5" blades ground from 0-1 and etched for a matt working finish. These still haev to be finished but you get the idea ;)
Trio2.jpg

Trio.jpg

Your too kind Michael ;) Its leather die! Brown leather die and oil over it. I will build up the oil over a few days and then put wax on it. Its cool looking for sure!

brian,
Is that rosewood on the bottom one? I've used some brazilian rosewood and loved it. They all look great.

Mike

Mike,
Thats Amboyna Burel, Curley Maple, and Cocobolo below the top 2. I like natural oily woods better but the maple is surprisingly pretty ;)

I think I asked before, but how do you harden the blades and get such a distinct temper line? I'm gonna be finishing my first knife this week. Just hardened it today, then broke the tip, and reground it a little. Congradulations on your knives in Tactical Knives last issue.

me2 I use a oxy/ aced torch to "paint" in my heat treat area and omly the temper line and below is hardened. What steel did you use and what temperature did you temper at?

Mr.BadExample said:
That curly maple is really sweet!
I have alot if it too! You may see more of it...he he
:D
I like it better than I thought I would!

That maple looks nice. I bought some curly maple at the first knife show I ever went to, back in 1999, and have never gotten around to using it. I think that will change! Looks darn close to curly koa at a fraction of the price!

now I need a saw at home ;) I want to try that flame walnut on the skinner I think. Not sure yet. I still have to grid it thicker so I'll see what striks me when I get to that point.

The 'tiger stripe' looking handle is Amboyna , right ? That is darn pretty , both of them are :)

the tiger will really pop in a dark brown sheath. I may hang on to this one ;) or give it to my step father for christmas.

Edited to add : Notice the double temper line? ;)

I used 01 and tempered at 400 F for 1 hour. I did a test piece a while back and that gave me between 57 and 58 RC. We have a hardness tester at work. The as quenched hardness seemed low @ ~ 62. The blade warped a little, and trying to straighten it, I broke the tip off. Its now a 3" hunter instead of 3.5" but otherwise no big loss. I heat treat with a torch and firebrick setup. I'm pretty sure I heated one side more than the other, and maybe ground it too thin before hardening. I'm out of steel now, and was wondering if I should stick w/ O1, or switch to something and have someone else do the HT for me. I was thinking 440C. Thanks for any advice.

I'd stick with 0-1and do it yourself. Just more saticfaction for me. You can always do both and send off the stainless ;)

Sounds like a good RC ;)

Brian your killing me :p hear I am trying to make up my mind what handle material I want and you keep giving me more great choices ;)

Back