New work Knife

It rained today so I decided to make a new work knife for myself. I played with some bone I had (Wallmart) and the butt cap is a scrap of Elephant Ivory I had. It's from the layer just under the bark and is kinda a neat color....Anyway, it cuts.
View

Can't ever get the img to work with MSN. I miss photopoint!...Shucks, they didn't eliminate my account, just restricted it.

[This message has been edited by peter nap (edited 06-17-2001).]

The pet section. They call it "Smoked Bone"...I let the dog have it for about a week to lighten it up. Had to fight him to get it back though.

Peter,That is a great color on that bone.I will have to try one of those out myself.I did find the white chew bones at K-Mart the other day.Are the smoked bones greasy at all or just the smoky color and dry already...
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Hi Bruce. Pardon the pun ...but they are bone dry. They look like someone put my jerky sauce on them and put them in a dehydrator. The color lightens with a little work (Mine or the dogs) but seem very dry and stable. They aren't a bad buy...About $10.00 for the giant ones.

By-the-way. I just gave away my 50th knife to a friend. This is the first one that I felt the filework was good enough to not be laughed out of town. I've learned an awful lot from both you and your website. Thanks for the support and information. I wish there were more people like you in this world.

Peter, that's a great knife! I like the swell forward to keep your hand oriented away from the business section... Every time I see something sweet like this is makes me more resolved to come up with a work knife for myself...but there's always something I've promised someone else! Maybe I'll take your example and -- just do it! Very nice knife, and a great handle collaboration between you and your buddy!

Dave

I have a good idea for staining bone and it works,it a pot big enough to put the bone in
and put a couuple tea bags in the boiling water and let the tea badgs stay in the water a while and stick your bone in and turn the beat of and let the bone soak for a while and then let it dry you have a grat colored bone with an old aged took.
workd like a charm.

Glad That I could help you out Peter Nap....I feel its only right that I pass on my knowledge since I have had other people help me out in the same way....
Zodiac--You can also stain your Deer antlers in the same way as you suggested with the bone...
Bruce

------------------

Peter,
Oddly enough, my dog eats those bones. It takes him about three days but there is nothing left when he is done.

This is also the dog that jumped up 7 feet in the garage and grabbed the !#@$ sheep skull (with the horns for scales) off the top shelf and chewed the !@#$ face off!
The !#@$ hellhound.

C Wilkins

Try giving him more than one. Mine will work on one for a while and go to another. That's a funny story though (wouldn't be if it was my sheep) Mine is still a puppy. He is just now getting over a hundred pounds. Another 6 months or so I may have to clean the bones myself.

[This message has been edited by peter nap (edited 06-18-2001).]

C.L. PETER, this is too funny! i can see it now. i five thousand years the anthropolgist's will be studying the clan of the knife makers, that maintained acient customs of only useing a piece of bone from wally world, and the sacramonial way it was prepared. it must be chewed on by the tribal hell hound and boiled in special herbs to raise the mo jo before being fixed to the ritual knife. then and only then is it used for the cook out, to stab brautwurst off the the grill, and pry open non-twist beer bottles.

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

Peter will it work just tp sand off the outside layer of those bones as my wife is getting tired of all the bones in the yard that my dogs are cleaning for me now...
I wonder how it would look to stabilize this bone as is when bought then clean it up for the handle,has anybody else tied this.
C L, I have had my dogs get ahold of a couple of deer skulls with the antlers still on that I was letting cure in a old tree behind the shop,and they tore up the antlers and the skull.I wanted to scream as they were some nice pieces for handles.I learned to hang stuff from the rafters of the shop so they can't get them.My Great Dane is almost big enough to reach them now though,hope he doesn't learn to stand on a stool
biggrin.gif

Bruce

------------------

Bruce, Sanding works just fine. The stain is in the bone but there is a really dark layer of dried meat and gunk on the surface.
Rhino, I'm still laughing over your post.

Back