New Year/ Big changes for Osprey Knife & Tool (Important Announcement!)

​I hope everyone had awesome Holiday!

I would first like to start out by thanking all of you for taking part in my success last year! It would have not been possible without every one of you. I truly appreciate the time and effort all of you put in.

I enjoyed my vacation, got some much needed rest and I am ready to return to work invigorated. I have several great things planned and am chomping at the bit to put them into physical form.

This time of year we all reflect on the past year and look forward to the future in order to recalibrate our goals.

2016 was a great year for me, I accomplished many of the goals I set for myself and for the brand. I began the year working Full-time for Fiddleback Forge, selling only one knife a week on Fiddleback Friday. I’m now working full-time solely on Osprey K/T, averaging 15-20 knives a month on my own sub-forum. I have made enough in knife sales to buy tools and equipment I could only drool over previously. I have learned a lot over the last six months about production and running a business. I discovered that there are many things I want to continue to do and grow, but other areas I would like to change and evolve in. I believe for my longevity as an Artist/Knife-maker I need to allow myself time to be creative and learn new skills. My desire is to continually evolve in my craft is strong and in the forefront of my goals for this year.

Being a one man show means I do it all; from managing supplies, to making every part of the knife, to posting on sales channels, marketing, customer service and even shipping and fulfillment. My goals and intended path for my brand have presented challenges with the current sales platform. I have found my self stuck in a repetitive routine, working 7 days a week making similar things over and over again. This is a great problem to have, but when coupled with my desire to grow and the amount of time I put into each knife, it leaves me working myself to the bone to post a few blades every Thursday evening.

After a long period of deliberation, I have decided to end Thursdays sales threads as they were conducted previously, Instead I have decided it would be more beneficial for me to post sales thread on randomly each month. The idea is too make the same amount of knives every month (maybe more), but have fewer sales threads each month. I also want to do the threads earlier in the day. I am likely to stick with Tuesdays or Thursdays. Obviously, posting less frequently but producing the same volume means that I will release larger batches of knives on each sales thread than before. I also plan to do occasional small batches on other social media platforms to expand brand exposure. As of right now I don’t intend on picking or sticking with a particular time of day. I likely will move away from the locked preview format and exact unlock time, to a more fluid way. I know some of you guy’s will not like this decision but I think in the long run it will benefit us all more by providing me more flexibility to innovate, learn, and bring new things to the table. I also hope that it will allow more people the opportunity to claim a knife they want by varying the times of day I post a sales thread. I plan to give some sense of predictability by using the the extra time to be more active on the forum, posting more previews, answering questions and emails.

As with any change I am sure there will be some adjustments that need to be made. I plan to keep things as informative and as fluid as possible. I have spoken with a few of you guy’s briefly about my intentions to get a feel of people opinions and reaction. Most if not all of you were optimistic and supportive of the change and I thank you for that. I also looked at how knife-makers outside of the Fiddleback Family conduct their sales. I found that there are many different approaches and many of them very successful in their own way. I believe for awhile Fiddleback Forge conducted their sales this way and it evolved into its current format. This confirmed to me that I just need to find what works for me and find that state of balance. I ask for your patience and continued support during the transition.

Questions and comments are welcome!

I plan on releasing my first batch of the year next week! I look forward to seeing everyone!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Last edited:
Chris,

I am glad that you enjoyed some down time over the holidays to rest, recharge, and re-focus your business goals. Thanks for the explanation of how the sales model will be changing. I think less frequent / larger variety sales threads will be a successful format for you and open things up to new customers as you stated. Your designs and quality are so good that you will continue to have my support whatever the sales format evolves to. I suspect many other of your loyal fans will feel the same.

Wishing you great success in 2017!

Phil

Chris
I concur absolutely with Phil's words and share his sentiments entirely. It is exciting to have witnessed a small part of your achievements of 2016. I don't believe anyone will begrudge your decisions and changes. Your craftsmanship, dedication, and integrity are unquestionable. You have my support as well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to get Chris to shorten this post to just say, "from this point on, all sales will be through the Outpost". But for some reason he just chuckled. Chuckled! Can you believe that? Rude!

Well, even with my evil plans thwarted, we will be 100% behind Chris as he finds what works best for him in growing his business and we will be proud to showcase his amazing talent whenever possible!

Looking forward to watching your star ⭐️ rise further in 2017, Chris. Happy New Year! [emoji312][emoji324][emoji323]

- Robert

Whatever keeps you happy and making knives! You have a gift and I'd hate to see that spark snubbed out from monotony.

Wishing you the best in the New Year

No worries we got your back bro![emoji109]

For what it's worth, I like that you are moving in your own direction and experimenting with your own business model.

All the best to you for the coming New Year my friend.

Awesome Chris! May the new year be doubly as successful as the last! Can't wait to see the knives.

Chris,

I am glad that you enjoyed some down time over the holidays to rest, recharge, and re-focus your business goals. Thanks for the explanation of how the sales model will be changing. I think less frequent / larger variety sales threads will be a successful format for you and open things up to new customers as you stated. Your designs and quality are so good that you will continue to have my support whatever the sales format evolves to. I suspect many other of your loyal fans will feel the same.

Wishing you great success in 2017!

Phil

Thank you Phil, I thought it was important to explain little bit my motivations behind the change, and to give people an Idea of what to look forward to. I appreciate you loyal support and I am eager to see how this evolves for me.

Chris
I concur absolutely with Phil's words and share his sentiments entirely. It is exciting to have witnessed a small part of your achievements of 2016. I don't believe anyone will begrudge your decisions and changes. Your craftsmanship, dedication, and integrity are unquestionable. You have my support as well!!!

Thank you Doug, I am glad you were able to be a part of my success last year, and I am happy you will be along for the ride into 2017.
Thank you for you support as well!

I tried to get Chris to shorten this post to just say, "from this point on, all sales will be through the Outpost". But for some reason he just chuckled. Chuckled! Can you believe that? Rude!

Well, even with my evil plans thwarted, we will be 100% behind Chris as he finds what works best for him in growing his business and we will be proud to showcase his amazing talent whenever possible!

Looking forward to watching your star ⭐️ rise further in 2017, Chris. Happy New Year! [emoji312][emoji324][emoji323]

- Robert

Lol, thank you for your support Robert, I am immune to your evil plans. Bwhahahah.

Whatever keeps you happy and making knives! You have a gift and I'd hate to see that spark snubbed out from monotony.

Wishing you the best in the New Year

Thank you Danny, I am glad to see we are on the same wave length:thumbup:

For what it's worth, I like that you are moving in your own direction and experimenting with your own business model.

All the best to you for the coming New Year my friend.

I appreciate it Mark, I like the idea of blazing my own path as well.

Awesome Chris! May the new year be doubly as successful as the last! Can't wait to see the knives.

Sounds great Chris. Look forward to seeing everything!

Thanks for you support guy's I will look forward to seeing you guy's more often around the Forum and when the sales threads pop up.
I appreciate everyones support and encouragement.

Today was my first official full day back at work, I hope to have some pictures to share with you guy's of what I am working on here in a few days

I've chatted with Chris a bit on the side about this and just want to show my support here as well for the changes. The gist of my thoughts were ...

None of us, especially Chris, would benefit from him being burned out or getting to a point where he doesn't enjoy what he does. Working to a deadline or being in a frenzy is no fun. Its his business & his place to decided and ideally we should all do something that makes us happy. So I'm glad he's decided to switch the sales methodology where he can take his time with his creations, his knives speak for themselves anyway and he should release his Ospreys from the nest when they're ready to fly.

I've chatted with Chris a bit on the side about this and just want to show my support here as well for the changes. The gist of my thoughts were ...

None of us, especially Chris, would benefit from him being burned out or getting to a point where he doesn't enjoy what he does. Working to a deadline or being in a frenzy is no fun. Its his business & his place to decided and ideally we should all do something that makes us happy. So I'm glad he's decided to switch the sales methodology where he can take his time with his creations, his knives speak for themselves anyway and he should release his Ospreys from the nest when they're ready to fly.

Very well said! Cheers to you my friend!

Thank you Jerry, very eloquently written. I appreciate your continued support!

Chris, Happy New Year!

Good luck with your endeavors. Change is good and perhaps the new format will allow me to finally acquire the one I've been looking for.

Best Regards,
Sergio

Back