1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

newbie looking for information on blanks

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by pkd3, Jun 8, 2015.

1. pkd3

pkd3

Aug 8, 2000
    I have searched this forum and google looking for information on blanks. I am not a knife maker but as a hobby would like to take a blank and add and shape my own micarta scales. I would love to have comments from you guys on this forum on what my options would be in obtaining a blank that will fit my specs which are not really that special. I just want a good steel for a 5 inch or longer utility camp knife of about 1/8 or 5/32. where can I shop for such? I think I have settled on a carbon steel such as 1095 but am flexible as long as it is not too difficult to sharpen. Thanks

2. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Jantz knife supply has a good selection. Most knife making suppliers offer blanks.

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Jantz, Knifekits.com, Knifemaker supply USA, Sheffield,

They all have blanks

find a copy of my post

the count's standard reply to new knifemakers v36

You will find some links to tips.

4. Bo T

Bo T

Feb 12, 2011
    I assembled a nice - inexpensive - knife using The Russell Green River Belt blade. It resides in my kitchen. I just used some Dymondwood for the handle.

5. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    any suggestions on getting forged blank blades from a maker and not one of those companies?

6. pkd3

pkd3

Aug 8, 2000
    yea, that^ thanks everyone for your suggestions much appreciated

7. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    Caution! Most knifemakers get started by applying a handle to a finished blade or rehandling an old knife.

(Yoda voice) Beware of the dark side, consume you it will!